is it possible to save progress on a gotek?

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
matelot

is it possible to save progress on a gotek?

Post by matelot »

Hi,
I hope this is in the right section.
I have a gotek unit successfully running on my master.
I have snowball and lords of time disks running on it but I can't save my progress.
I would like, eventually to add other level nine adventure games and also get them to allow me to save progress.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks
Bob.
bob147

Re: is it possible to save progress on a gotek?

Post by bob147 »

You should be able to find an option that lets you make the disc writeable. If yours is anything like the one I got from RetroClinic, you choose a disc by pushing in the rotary dial, then if you continue to turn it, you browse through a bunch of options specific to that disc. One of those should be what your looking for.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

This is certainly possible as a while back I was having a nostalgic look at Football Manager on my Model B and saved my progress to a .ssd on my GOTEK. I think my blank disk images were already write enabled but the advice given in the previous reply is true of my GOTEK where you can click to select and then perform various functions.

I hope you have resolved?
danielj

Post by danielj »

It does depend a little on whether you're using a disk version, or a tape version transferred to disc. The latter often will not let you save. If it's write protect you can, as said, toggle that from the flashfloppy menu.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

The original disk versions of both Snowball and Lords of Time allow saving, but it's via 8271 low level commands, so i'm not sure if it would work properly on the BBC Master. I remember looking at them both a while ago to see whether they could be made more system agnostic, but can't remember how that went :lol:
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I note that bbcmicro.co.uk offers this http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1752 which I assume is what Bill is trying to remember! I'll have a quick go and see if it works on the Master with a gotek.

And this one for Snowball http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1650 no hack description this time, but there are two versions on the site and this is the one that doesn't say 'requires a specific disk drive type to save'
matelot

Post by matelot »

The two links go to programs that don't give the option of saving (0 to 9) but both work on my master.
The two versions I have give the options to save (0 to 9) but don't save.
I have enclosed the files.
My originals are lords of time and snowball, the ones I have taken from the links are snowball2 and time.
It is a long time since I did any programming on the bbc and have forgotten most of it. I can't even remember how to read the disk so that it tells me which are basic and which are machine code progs.
I bought the components for the gotek separate and soldered them together many years ago. I seem to remember connecting the control knob up to the click function for some reason but can't remember what. It does nothing I can see when I press it but does change the disc on the memory stick when I turn it.
[-o< Cap in hand I am wondering if someone has the time and the interest to meld the programs so that 'save' has the option of 10 saves (my versions) but works on a master (the links versions). I suspect it may be as simple as altering something in the basic loader program. I may get down to it one day but I know there are people on this forum who like a challenge.
Bob.
Attachments
time.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
snowball2.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Snowball.ssd
(100 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Lords_Of_Time.ssd
(100 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”