Using EdWord ROM in an emulator

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
Gothboy

Using EdWord ROM in an emulator

Post by Gothboy »

Moderators note: Topic split out from the Wanted - EdWord ROM topic.

Thank you Martin B for posting the various download Edword chips for the BBC Acorn emulator. I have a downloaded copy of the BBC Acorn emulator from here https://emutopia.com/index.php/emulator ... 30-model-b

I tried in installing the Edword word processing files from above that you kindly posted, but I have had no success in installing them. There appears to be no exe file in them to run them. Martin B could you help us out here. Or indeed any kindly soul who can help in installing and running an Edword chip in the BBC Acorn emulator? Thanks!
Last edited by 1024MAK on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic
Coeus

Re: Using EdWord ROM in an emulator

Post by Coeus »

That link requires authentication so I can't tell from that which emulator you are running. Acorn made several machine, though I think you may be emulating a BBC Model B, and there are several emulators around for many of them.

For a ROM, normally you would either drop it in a folder or pick it from a menu - although the ROM contains executable code it isn't code for the PC so it won't be in a .exe file. Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the emulator running then, once we know which one it is, it will be easier to help.
Gothboy

Post by Gothboy »

Thanks Coeus for your helpful reply to my issue with the BBC B Acorn Emulator and the Edword Word processing chip for it. Here is a screenshot of the emulator that I have as you requested below as an attachment.
Attachments
BBC Acorn B Emulator.jpg
Gothboy

Post by Gothboy »

Hi Coeus, These are the Edword chip files that I have attempted unsuccessfully to load into the BBC B Acorn computer emulator as above (see attached file). If you or any other knowledgeable person here can help out I will be very grateful. Thanks.
Attachments
Edword Chips.jpg
Edword Chips.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The attachments containing the ROM files are in this post ;-)

Mark
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

They are ROM files so not sure how you are trying to load them but you need to do it via "Hardware" on the beebem menu then "edit ROM configuration" select an empty ROM slot and load the ROM file you want into there.
Regards Peter.
Gothboy

Post by Gothboy »

Thanks 104MAK and to VANEKP for your invaluable assistance with regards to importing Edword Word Processing chips to the BBC B Acorn emulator. Vanekp - thanks for your step-by-step guide on how to import those files. I was able to follow your instructions and load it up with one of the Edword chips. Would you be able to explain how I actually run the Edword word processing program in the BBC emulator for me? Thanks very much vanekp - and anyone else who may help.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

if you have loaded the ROM and press break (F12) or CTRL Break, *HELP will show you what ROMs you have loaded in the emulator, and you will see edword listed
edword.jpg
and if you type *EDWORD [ENTER] it will start up EDWORD
Last edited by vanekp on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter.
Gothboy

Post by Gothboy »

Thank you vanekp, your advice is really appreciated. I am getting there...slowly.
I have done what you have instructed on the BBC B Acorn Emulator
Unfortunately, I keep getting a disk fault error on the emulator (see below screen captured images).
Any advice on how to finally get to running my BBC B emulator with the Edword word processor? Thanks again to your fantastic advice.
Attachments
Edword.jpg
BBC B Acorn Emulator.jpg
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

1st off you need to load the ROM 1st and that you don't need a BBC disk for that as that done in windows, and that I had explained before one its loaded into a ROM socket via the hardware menu, and the rest I posted in my last post. so CTRL + F12 (break), *HELP should show the ROM there and then *EDWORD should bring it up if you are getting a disk error its because its trying to find a program called EdWord on a disk so then something has gone wrong with loading the ROM or you did not press CTRL+ F12 (break) before typing *EDWORD
Regards Peter.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”