How to load jfds into Arculator?

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
Destroid

How to load jfds into Arculator?

Post by Destroid »

I'm noticing a lot of archived stuff is in Jfd format, from what I gather it's a more complete disc format emulation but there's no option to load them? Can I convert them?

Thanks!
https://www.twitch.tv/sisterrose

Irish lass streaming old Acorn games now and again with a virtual avatar.
acorndave

Re: How to load jfds into Arculator?

Post by acorndave »

I have made 1 or 2 jfd files myself in the past. I think if I recall correctly this is sort of a way of imaging files when they can't be imaged in other ways due to copy protections. You effectively 'copy' them with the file protection still in place, so they can at least still be used.

You just need a copy of ADFFS. Obtain a copy. Copy it into Arculator.

Copy your jfd files into Arculator.

Ensure ADFFS is loaded / running and then just double click on the jfd files to run them
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

You have two options:
  1. Compile Arculator with JFD support enabled
  2. Run ADFFS in RISC OS
Although Sarah added native JFD support to Arculator many years ago, its disabled by default. I believe its disabled because there's a few JFD it won't support, but it should work for most JFD files.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

sirbod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:40 pm Although Sarah added native JFD support to Arculator many years ago, its disabled by default. I believe its disabled because there's a few JFD it won't support, but it should work for most JFD files.
I only ever confirmed it working with _one_ JFD file. From memory your comments at the time lead me to abandon natively supporting JFD and to stick to the FDI/APD/HFE route. I'd regard the JFD support as extremely unfinished, please don't encourage people to try using it.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:20 am
sirbod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:40 pm Although Sarah added native JFD support to Arculator many years ago, its disabled by default. I believe its disabled because there's a few JFD it won't support, but it should work for most JFD files.
I only ever confirmed it working with _one_ JFD file. From memory your comments at the time lead me to abandon natively supporting JFD and to stick to the FDI/APD/HFE route. I'd regard the JFD support as extremely unfinished, please don't encourage people to try using it.
I use it all the time on 0.99, it seems perfectly functional to me so I don't see why you can't include it in the build with the caveat it's WiP and might not work for a few specific JFD.

I believe my comment you are referring to was about JFD being an application level emulation, not physical, so you would need to reconstruct the datastream. The problem there being that reading a Track is different depending on the FDC so some JFD will store the full track, but others might only store the sector ID's. We're only talking a couple of games that are affected though, such as Slapit and possibly Fire & Ice.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

sirbod wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:42 am I use it all the time on 0.99
Just want to clarify this incase anyone reading gets confused...

What sirbod is refering to here is a private development build somewhere between 0.99 and 2.0, made purely to get feedback about an early unfinished implementation of JFD support. 0.99 does not have JFD support, and I would not advise anyone to use 0.99 for anything.

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”