BBC Emulator For Xbox?

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
jon28

BBC Emulator For Xbox?

Post by jon28 »

As far as I'm aware there isn't a BBC emulator for the Xbox, or is there?

Is there any chance of one of the existing emulators being ported over?

Jon.
CMcDougall

PS2!

Post by CMcDougall »

No only for good machines like the Sony PlayStation2. I tryed to get it to work, but i don't have mine chipped. If i did, would loose DVD player. :cry:
jon28

Post by jon28 »

I'm not a big Xbox fan, the main reason I got it was to fit a mod chip - its pretty easy fitting the chip plus the built in hard drive is a major bonus.

I just fitted a 250gb hard drive and am using it as a media centre and for emulators - I haven't bought any new games for it.

Its a pity there isn't a BBC emulator for it though as its still my 'spiritual home'.

Jon.
melchett

Post by melchett »

It's strange really as the guy (?) who ported BeebEm to the PS2 is one of the people responsible for XBOX Media Player (later XBOX Media Center) - one of the most polished XBOX Media centre applications. I must say I'm surprised that he never ported BeebEm to the XBOX as it should have been far simpler than to the PS2 (most of the windows calls are the same and it also uses a DirectX variant).

More information here:

http://xbox-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/runtime.shtml
melchett

Post by melchett »

Also meant to say that I wouldn't have minded having a go at porting it across but unfortunately Microsoft restricts who gets access to the XDK (you have to sign non-disclosure agreements and you get a "marked" copy of the XDK so they can trace compiled code back to a certain licence). Hence, the only way most of these applications for chipped xboxes appear is unfortunately through the use of "illegal" XDKs. There was an OpenXDK project but I think that foundered and is bound to be abandoned now the 360 is out.
jon28

Post by jon28 »

It's strange really as the guy (?) who ported BeebEm to the PS2 is one of the people responsible for XBOX Media Player
Any ideas where he hangs out? No harm in asking if there is a chance of him porting it. I'm going to suggest it on some of the other Xbox emulation forums, hopefullly someone will do one at some point.

XBMC is an excellent piece of software - it gets better every time I use it.

I didn't think the problem was with getting the XDK, rather with software compiled with it without a license. Either way, the only effect this seems to have is that its slightly more difficult downloading software.

Jon.
CMcDougall

USB on xBox?

Post by CMcDougall »

Out of interest, if using your xBox as as a media centre, ie tunes, how do u get them out again? its my m8 has 1, with lots of CD rips on it, but i suppose will need some kind of USB cable for it and software? & do u know what the CD rips are? ie MP3 ,WMA etc ??

Some1 else on here mensioned that media centre, maybe he may know too?? :roll:

Its just he wants them out, so he can put on my PC & then onto his MP3 player. Cheers in advance :wink:
melchett

Post by melchett »

jon28 wrote: Any ideas where he hangs out? No harm in asking if there is a chance of him porting it.
Unfortunately I do not however I recall that there was a news item on STH some time ago when he announced a work in progress version for the PS2. I have just scanned the old news archives but cannot find it though... I wonder if Dave (STH Administrator) has any email details for him that he'd share privately?
melchett

Re: USB on xBox?

Post by melchett »

CMcDougall wrote:Out of interest, if using your xBox as as a media centre, ie tunes, how do u get them out again?
All xboxes have a 10/100 ethernet port at the back and you should be able to just plug it straight into a router or buy a wireless bridge for it or connect it direct to a PC / Laptop via a crossover cable.

Does he have a standard or modded xbox? It embarasses me to say that I don't really know how to use the standard xbox interface as I normally use the Evolution-X dashboard (modded xbox) which has a built in ftp server. Hence, I just connect via a wireless bridge after setting up my xbox to use DHCP (dynamic IP address assignment via my router's DHCP server - can provide more details on how to do this if you're not sure) and ftp from/to my xbox any mp3s I have ripped from my CDs. Not sure you can do this on a standard xbox... will have a look.

CMcDougall wrote: its my m8 has 1, with lots of CD rips on it, but i suppose will need some kind of USB cable for it and software? & do u know what the CD rips are? ie MP3 ,WMA etc ??
Which xbox application is he using to rip them?
Last edited by melchett on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMcDougall

mm

Post by CMcDougall »

cheers, its just a 'Normal' xBox he has, the black one with the X in the middle, no mods, but has some sort of 'Telephone' port at the back.

He just rippes his CDs with whatever came with the xBox, the green screen player thing. Its quite handy for playing games with crap tunes!

CM :wink:

PS ow and whats the HD like? is it the same as PC, if so maybe thats the answer? :roll:
Lloyd Mangram

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

I would like to see a working BBC emulator for the XBox - Sadly it seems that as lot of the X-Port Emulators are no longer updated.
From Little Acorns...
jon28

Post by jon28 »

XPort has just started releasing updated versions of his emulators, two or three are already available with more to come. He has said that it is likely to be updates only, with new emulators very unlikely.
Lloyd Mangram

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

jon28 wrote:XPort has just started releasing updated versions of his emulators, two or three are already available with more to come. He has said that it is likely to be updates only, with new emulators very unlikely.
Do you have a link for any of these updates?
From Little Acorns...
jon28

Post by jon28 »

The official Xport forum is here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=96.

You can download them from 'the usual places'.

Jon.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”