Master Compact Built In Games

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

theleachio

Master Compact Built In Games

Post by theleachio »

Perhaps someone could help with links to a couple of games. The 128 Master Compact we had back from 1983/84 onwards had 2 built in games.

One was simply called 'Arcade' and was a green submarine type craft that could rise to about 3 or 4 lines up, go down and left/right and basically the aim was to shoot everything in the sea above.

The other was simply called 'Adventure' - a text style game like Labyrinths of LaCoshe.

Anybody recall or have these? Would be great to relive these again!! :D
frankoid

Re: Master Compact Built In Games

Post by frankoid »

Hi,

We had a Master (non compact) and it came with Aqua Attack and Adventure, which sound like the games you're talking about, on the Welcome disc.

The Master Compact welcome disc can be downloaded from http://www.stairwaytohell.com/essential ... meDisc.zip.

Aqua Attack was a fun game, I remember my dad liking it :)

Francis
theleachio

Post by theleachio »

Hi Francis

Cheers for this, much appreciated!! Aqua Attack! Now it all comes flooding back - if you pardon the pun!! Come to think of it my Dad also liked this one, along with Imogen, Repton, Ravenskull etc

Problem I'm having is running it on the Emulator I have. Its the BeebEm - BBC Model B/Master 128 Emulator. When I run Disc Im, it reads, "The native 8271 FDC cannot read ADFS discs."

Any tips on how I can get to run this?

Cheers

Nick
frankoid

Post by frankoid »

Change the emulated model to Master 128 (Hardware -> BBC Model -> BBC Master 128 on the Mac version of BeebEm).
I couldn't get the menu to work (the pointer wouldn't move), but I got Aqua Attack to load with the following commands:

Code: Select all

*ADFS
*DIR WELCOME.GAMES.ARCADE
CH."Aqua"
You could also try the Master 128 welcome disc - it has a different menu system (but it's ADFS too so you'll still need to change the emulated model).
poink

Post by poink »

if you're interested in the originals, AFAIK, Aqua Attack is a Centipede clone, and Adventure is, well, Adventure.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”