What music r u into?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
CMcDougall

What music r u into?

Post by CMcDougall »

Just wondering what tunes we all like, as we are around the 30yr old mark :oops:

Proberly all started with The Greatest Hits Of House '88 by StylusMusic.

I had my first mixed tape in '91 by Dj Carl Cox, tunes were She's bittin' back (bionic man), R&S Spectrum.

Then came Tom Wilson (dead now) on Radio Forth 97.3FM (Edinburgh). Played loadsa rare Techno, then got really cheesy. So then came Pirate Radio Boomerang 100/104/107/96.5FM in 4/'93. Thats when i REALLY got into Breakizm. (Break Beats)

I have 2xTechnics SL1200 Mk2s, mixer and 5x boxes of RARE records.

Hate Jungle :evil: all the same >'94 and partial to some Gabba! :roll:

So folks, what about u? :?: CM :wink:

PS if older, were u into Divine : Im so beutiful, You think your a man?
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Sorry, can't add a lot to this thread. Music's never been a big thing for me. Probably buy an album every two to three years now ! Can't even remember what the last one was.

But when I was younger... My first record ever was "Another Brick in the wall" by Pink Floyd.

Back in my early to mid teens it was Madness/Jam etc. But then after leaving school I never bothered much about buying music. Like loadsa different stuff really. From dance to oldie rubbish. Never buy any though.

Although I'll agree with you about Jungle - I hate it to.
CMcDougall

yo

Post by CMcDougall »

sorvad wrote:Although I'll agree with you about Jungle - I hate it to.
=D>

PinkFloyd, brink in tha wall, yes ](*,) likes that 2 when first out!

Since its Valentines day, heres some OLD '93 tunes 4 ya! (Breaks)
Bad Boys :- http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=790793074
Bad Girls :- http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=089563195

Something to scare u sh!t less! (breaks again)
The Horror :- http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=836725326
Another one sampled from Polter Guist :- http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=948876603

(To ED. (DaveM) these tunes are only 80kps, as >128 are naughty! (per other sites)) CM :wink:
Last edited by CMcDougall on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kecske Bak

Re: What music r u into?

Post by Kecske Bak »

CMcDougall wrote:Just wondering what tunes we all like, as we are around the 30yr old mark :oops:
I'm 34, but was never keen on new music.

I liked Kevin Ayers, Mike Oldfield, Barclay James Harvest, Brinsley Schwarz, and a bit of Roy Wood and ABBA if I needed cheering up.

And I also like Richard Thompson and The Albion Band.

In otherwords I'm a bit of a hippy!
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Kecske Bak wrote:Mike Oldfield!
Did he not do Tubular Bells? :roll:

Wife likes ABBA, i only like 'The Day U came/went' on Gold2 ONLY 8)
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

CMcDougall wrote:Did he not do Tubular Bells? :roll:
Ooo err missis, sounds like slander does that. What he does in the private of his own home....
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

it was mike some1, first Virgin Label pressing? :?

NOT slanddering m8, thought it was him :roll:
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

I was just having a joke about his sexual preferences :P

He did do the bells.

Well Im sure he did, Kecske Bak will confirm.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

sorvad wrote:I was just having a joke about his sexual preferences :P

He did do the bells.

Well Im sure he did, Kecske Bak will confirm.
Yes, he certainly did Tubular Bells. And Tubular Bells II. And Tubular Bells III. And The Millenium Bell. And The Orchestral Tubular Bells, and Tubular Bells 2003...

Actually, his best work is a 60min album called "Amarok", which he recorded with bits and pieces he found lying around his house - hoovers, clockwork toys, breaking glass, toy instruments. It also features Margaret Thatcher falling downstairs and through a set of patio doors - a big plus for any album, I find.

BTW: If you want to buy an album featuring the BBC Master 128, buy "Radio KAOS" by Roger Waters. Features loads of speech done with Superior/David Hoskin's "Speech!" program.
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Wow, knew there'd been a Tubular Bells II, didn't know about the rest.

I remember setting my Master 128 to auto boot and say hello to me when it started up, sad I know :!: Speech was brilliant.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

sorvad wrote:Wow, knew there'd been a Tubular Bells II, didn't know about the rest.
Lack of originality on the part of record executives to blame for most of them. I'm not too keen on II, but like I and III.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Oww the Bells, I also have a remix Techno version from '89, will put it through the MP3 splitter and upload 2moro, If interested :?: if the bosses arent 'lurking' around ! :wink:
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

I'm not to bothered about the bells if you don't want to go to the trouble.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

I'm probably weird in that I prefer Tubular Bells II to I and III, and I prefer TB 2003 to the original...
QE2 and Five Miles Out are far superior though. I always found it ironic that the reason he left Virgin was because he didn't want to produce TB2, but it was the first non-Virgin album he did (and probably the best).
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

TomWalker wrote:I always found it ironic that the reason he left Virgin was because he didn't want to produce TB2,
No, he didn't want to record TB2 *for Virgin*. He wanted to record it, but after their utter non-promotion of Amarok, he felt that Virgin didn't deserve TB2. Virgin told Oldfield that they didn't know what to do with an instrumental album. Given that the label was founded on Oldfield's instrumental albums it was a kick in the teeth.

That's also why he insisted on being credited as "Michael Oldfield" on his final Virgin album, "Heaven's Open" and recorded the track "Make, Make" about a certain Mr. Branson.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Tubular Bells (Mix9!) from my first ever mixed(ish) tape early '89

http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=393679758 :P

Most of the tunes on it never came out till '91/2, so its VERY rare tunage, hope u enjoy :roll: :?:
jon28

Post by jon28 »

I had my first mixed tape in '91 by Dj Carl Cox, tunes were She's bittin' back (bionic man), R&S Spectrum.
Actually, R&S was the label, Spectrum the group and I'd imagine the record was the Brazil EP - the title track being the biggest but the rest wasn't bad.

I got my first set of decks back in about 1988/9 (when I was 16/17) and was into most forms of dance music at the time (rave, house, techno, hip hop).

First proper record I bought was the Beatmasters / Rock da House.

The other big record for me that I remember was the first Prodigy release - the Android EP. I still rate it is one of their best releases, though it wasn't a hit and I doubt many people will of heard of it. Sold it for about £50 a couple of years ago.

Whilst my musical tastes have moved on a bit now, about half the tunes on my iPod are old skool / club classics. The rest is a mixture, embarassingly it includes some Girls Aloud albums. I know they are crap but their music is just so damn catchy.

Jon.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

jon28 wrote:The other big record for me that I remember was the first Prodigy release - the Android EP. I still rate it is one of their best releases, though it wasn't a hit and I doubt many people will of heard of it. Sold it for about £50 a couple of years ago.
=D> Android, agree the BEST ever!! never on any of the LPs, just the first 12" (& never on CD). Its been re-presses, so you are lucky you sold it when you did!! :wink:

Yeah, R&S label, Spectrum Brazil (Remix) is my fav ones (CJ Boland?). U dont have the original mix etc?? Maybe we should share old-skool, or i will give u pointers to good sites, like this one! 8)
ImageImageImage
n_hatton

Post by n_hatton »

partial to some Gabba!
Ha nice one! Anything from Dusty Springfield to Funkadelic to Aphex Twin to Shellac to well...anything. Music is my life... just above BBC's ;)

Return to “off-topic”