ABUG Canada West Sept 18 2021 Meetup Meeting #21

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
KarateEd

ABUG Canada West Sept 18 2021 Meetup Meeting #21

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

It's that time again where Paul and Ed have gotten together during less restricted times to do all things Beeb related (and apologies for the sensitive in nature, some Commodore stuff too), in other words, just having some retro fun.
Paul posing for a picture after hearing me shout out "Look up!!!"
Paul posing for a picture after hearing me shout out "Look up!!!"
Paul had a very uneventful drive to Squamish where we had our first ABUG after a year, almost to the day.
Paul's solution for batteries, other than the big guys.  He's since changed it again to use the covers I printed him eons ago.
Paul's solution for batteries, other than the big guys. He's since changed it again to use the covers I printed him eons ago.
So, no, it didn't die. Paul was showing me his solution to the 'battery' problem of those big, big batteries.
This video cable stopped working for some reason.  The connections seemed very secure....hmmmm, mystery.
This video cable stopped working for some reason. The connections seemed very secure....hmmmm, mystery.
This particular cable stopped working for some reason, it had been fine for quite a while. I figured it was probably one of the connections that came off one of the connector's pins. I was wrong. I bought a microscope a few months ago and put it to use to see if I could see the disconnected wire(s). To my surprise, that was not the problem. What I found was a solder bridge between two pins. What gets me is it worked for a long time with no issues. So, my question for all you geniuses out there is "How could this happen after the fact?
I used an exacto knife to clear the problem, checked it again under the microscope and tested it. Flawless and priceless all at the same time. I figured I was in for a bit of a day of resoldering the connector to the wires.
After cleaning the problem, voila!  A working cable again.
After cleaning the problem, voila! A working cable again.
and it worked...... :-)
These were inside my arabic Compact.  This was the first time that I opened it up.  Have yet to figure out how to make the language one work.
These were inside my arabic Compact. This was the first time that I opened it up. Have yet to figure out how to make the language one work.
Notice the EPROM that has the window untaped.
The window is now safer from UV.
The window is now safer from UV.
Notice the EPROM that has the window taped.
Paul was showing me how he installed his different devices in his compact
Paul was showing me how he installed his different devices in his compact
Paul was just showing me his configuration of a number of items within his Compact, very impressive work Paul.
The turtle was printing on 'absorbant' cardboard so that's why the 'dots'.
The turtle was printing on 'absorbant' cardboard so that's why the 'dots'.
Paul worked his turtle to make this graphic. It wasn't so long ago that this hunk of plastic didn't do anything but he got the controller's 'brain' to work, first by the buttons on the controller and then with the bluetooth. Very nicely done Paul.
This is what Paul printed that day with his turtle.
This is what Paul printed that day with his turtle.
More examples of the turtle printing out things.

The next page will show some 'other' retro gear and maybe some not so retro at all, however there may be interest in both topics from some people.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Re: ABUG Canada West Sept 18 2021 Meetup Meeting #21

Post by KarateEd »

So, what we'll do here is delve into the Amiga era and the new era of Oculus 2 VR
Paul's A600, very nice machine.
Paul's A600, very nice machine.
Paul showing off his A600 playing Cannon Fodder. I have to admit, it played very well.
People have seen this before I'll bet.
People have seen this before I'll bet.
Workbench on Paul's A600. A fairly tidy desktop, at least for it's day.
This game played quite well on there, well Paul was doing as well as he usually does.
This game played quite well on there, well Paul was doing as well as he usually does.
Paul had this handheld that he was playing Kissin Kousins on. I can't quite read the name of the handheld but maybe Paul will help us with that in his blurb.
Looks very strange to me, who is that masked man?
Looks very strange to me, who is that masked man?
15-Ed1 - Oculus 2 Elvin.jpg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
This is me playing Elvin Assassins on my Oculus. It's really very impressive and now I've gotten fairly good at it. Next, The Walking Dead.
More of the same.
More of the same.
16-Ed2 - Oculus 2 Elvin.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Don't we look silly shooting a bow and arrow with all that gear on?
Yadda, yadda
Yadda, yadda
17-Ed2 - Oculus 3 Elvin.jpg (14 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Really, just more of the same but this time I think I'm yelling at the orc that stuck an axe in my head.
Me and my Master getting down in a game of Kissin Kousins
Me and my Master getting down in a game of Kissin Kousins
18-Playing Kissin Kousins.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Trying to improve my score on Kissin Kousins. I didn't.
KK and Kompact
KK and Kompact
19-Playing Kissin Kousins.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
I set up my arabic Compact and played a little Kissin Kousins on it. Worked fine. I'm just using a 5V 2A power supply on this machine and it works great. It's a pretty neat machine and the footprint is wonderful.

Well, that's it from me. We somehow neglected getting our usual selfie but we did exchange gifts. I'll let Paul tell you about his while I'll share what Paul gave me.

I received, with an immense amount of gratitude, a beautiful cover for my A3010 and a book which I'm currently about 1/2 way through entitled "Commodore - The Amiga Years". It's a very interesting read. As with most retro computing of the era, much more was going on behind the scenes than most people know about. I started out on Commodore (chicklet PET) but once I saw the Beeb, that was it, it was love at first sight.

So, now that's it. Paul, up to you buddy.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Looks like you got through loads of stuff through the day ... even VR, wow (you must try Beat Saber, it's awesome!) ... anyway thanks for sharing the pics, look forward to Paul's write-up!!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Well, we only took one year to meet up again for a full day tinkering! As ever, I was greeted with Ed's Hybrid Music system playing merrily away (with a Genesis piece!) Ed was keen to show me his Oculus 2, nice piece of kit! It was fun using it, and I didn't get dizzy.
IMG_4477.jpeg
Ed shooting arrows at Orcs

I was keen to sort out my Valiant Turtle using the modern Communicator. I set up using my BBC Master, running Dart. I was having a few problems with the connections on a Thermistor (?) attached to one of the battery springs and the PL2 connector. This affects the pen up/down motor. As Ed mentioned I managed to get a pen attached and I coded a brief multi point star to test it.

Later in the week I made my own battery terminals on the bottom battery covers, and I used 10 rechargeable batteries in the Turtle battery compartments (before I was using 8 Alkaline batteries attached to the Turtle underside.) Once I'd fixed the thermistor connections the pen motor worked well. I also used the BBC Compact version of LOGO on the Master, using the Valiant Mover program to enable the floor Turtle.
IMG_4491.jpeg
IMG_4508.jpeg
Bodged battery contacts, but they work!

IMG_4608 3.jpg
Getting better results, but the Turtle may need calibration!

Ed was wondering about me playing Kissin' Kousins on my mobile device. It was using a GP2X with the BeebEm emulator!
IMG_4497.jpeg
GP2X pretending to be a Beeb!

We then looked at my Amiga 600 which I had pimped up with CF, Gotek, more fast ram and wireless mouse. I used to have an Amiga 500 bitd so it was fun for me to revisit the Amiga OS. I like the file handling, but find the disc handling quite slow. It's certainly interesting comparing my Amiga 600 to my Acorn A3020, both released in the same year (1992). I think you can guess which I prefer!!! :lol:
IMG_4299.jpeg
My finely dressed A3020

I was thrilled with the gift Ed gave me - a set of Arcadian Beeb A2 posters. I've been meaning to order this for myself for a while - can't wait to display these in my Acorn Den. Ed also kindly gave me a PiStorm HDMI for my Amiga, which I think I can use on the Amiga 600, but at the expense of losing my additional fast ram. The alternative is using an adapter for the PiStorm using a RPi Zero, but involves soldering a lot of internal connections to the Amiga motherboard. I love these modern gadgets for old micros!
IMG_4640 2.jpg
All too quickly the day was closing, so we ended it in style by going to the local Essence of India restaurant. It was there that I planned to take our traditional selfie, but then promptly forgot all about it! So here is a selfie from earlier this year (July!) Can't wait for our next meetup!! :D
IMG_4040.jpeg
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks for letting me/us live vicarious ABUGs through you.

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”