ICS Idea IDEFS images - reading on non-Acorn kit

Tools, techniques and guides for software preservation - get help archiving your discs here!
wakeyjess

ICS Idea IDEFS images - reading on non-Acorn kit

Post by wakeyjess »

Hi all --

I have finally discovered a small stash of ill hard disks I thought I'd lost forever, which includes what I think is the only copy of the source code to some stuff I wrote years back. I'd quite like to read it all.

The disks are most likely ICS Idea formatted from my A310, and I've managed to get some of the partitions off using dd. They don't mount in ADFS Explorer, and looking at the dump there's no Hugo signature so I'm guessing they are another format.

Has anyone successfully read any of these either with software (Mac or Linux preferred) or with a bit of loopback trickery in an emulator please?

Not averse to getting a Pi going running RISC OS, or an emulator or such. I'm not as savvy about 32-bit stuff as I am with Beeb bits!

Thanks all

Jessie.
x
Jessica Rowbottom - formerly Mad Rabbit PD back in the 80s/90s, ran a few Viewdata bulletin boards, wrote a few things for some magazines.
Now I write music under the name The Bleeding Obvious - I still use a Music5000 in the studio.
SarahWalker

Re: ICS Idea IDEFS images - reading on non-Acorn kit

Post by SarahWalker »

Try them in Arculator? If the images don't mount with the default IDE controller then there is an option to emulate an ideA podule. You can copy the contents off via HostFS.
wakeyjess

Post by wakeyjess »

Aha! I shall give Arculator a go - thanks :)
Jessica Rowbottom - formerly Mad Rabbit PD back in the 80s/90s, ran a few Viewdata bulletin boards, wrote a few things for some magazines.
Now I write music under the name The Bleeding Obvious - I still use a Music5000 in the studio.
wakeyjess

Post by wakeyjess »

An afternoon with an old laptop, a new Debian install, and a few compilations and I now have a working Arculator 2.0 and access to the original IdeA partitions. You beauty! Thank you :) x

Return to “software preservation”