Emulators

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
Greybeard

Emulators

Post by Greybeard »

Not finding the time to trawl through this sprawling (sub-)forum, I hope I can be forgiven for opening up yet another thread!

What I am wondering is can anyone point me in the direction of an emulator of the BBC Micro known to work on Pentium-1 class PC's running Windows 98 or even (in fact, make that:- even better) under MS-DOS. :)
SarahWalker

Re: Emulators

Post by SarahWalker »

What speed Pentium-1? Older versions of B-em (certainly v0.4x, possibly also v0.5-v0.8 ) should run okay at 166/200mhz or above. BeebEm v1.02 might be okay, but the sound will stutter like mad. BeebInC will run fine, but has poor sound and no real disc handling. pcBBC you have to pay for! probably.

Just out of interest, why a Pentium-1? Why not something made in the last 15 years?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A classic 486 running at 100 MHz.

This has been a loyal friend for fifteen years (but repaired and/or "enhanced" as needed along the way), and I keep all my old DOS stuff on there. It also runs Windows 98, in order to be able to link to more modern stuff using USB and PC-Linq et al.

I also find this old machine useful for trying out my own coding (done on slightly more modern platforms) as it clearly shows up any (slow) bottle-necks. Not to mention when I need to resort to C to get something done (Borland Turbo-C 2.0 or 3.0 ... both excellent, and entirely adequate, I find).

Meanwhile, I have various other emulators on there. Psion Organiser, Z88 ... to name but two!

But, fear not (?), I also have recent versions of (for example) BeebEm on more modern machines. :)

Unfortunately, all my real BBC Micro hardware has gone now. :(

Meanwhile (and not too far off topic, I hope) ... does anyone know the whereabouts of development packages (able to run on modern Windows platforms) for hand-held devices (such as RMI, Win CE ... and what-have-you)?
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Greybeard wrote:A classic 486 running at 100 MHz.
Ah, fair enough. This does change the answer though, at this speed only BeebInC, pcBBC and Model-B v0.3 will be useable. Sadly using old hardware does limit you to old emulators!
I also find this old machine useful for trying out my own coding (done on slightly more modern platforms) as it clearly shows up any (slow) bottle-necks. Not to mention when I need to resort to C to get something done (Borland Turbo-C 2.0 or 3.0 ... both excellent, and entirely adequate, I find).
Are those both real mode compilers? I'd suggest binning them and using DJGPP instead - at least there's no 640k limit there.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks for that info. about the emulators, Tom.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of DJGPP as well, if only because a certain R. Stallman Esq. must rank as one of my heroes (and surely I am not alone there), and now it seems I may need to add DJ Delorie as well. :)

Like many on here (I strongly suspect) I love all computer languages, but don't really get the time to dig into them as much as I would like.

Thinking about it, it has to be something like fourteen years or so since I even looked at Pearl for example.

These days, I only use C for minor things like "quick and dirty" command line hacks. Or, at a push, revisiting some of my earlier stuff (all of which probably come under the heading of "utilities") to make some minor change or other.

I have always admired the work of Philippe Kahn (Turbo-this, and Turbo-that), and have even done some stuff in Turbo-Basic (some years ago now, though). And surely the original Side-Kick TSR remains a classic to this day?

I had better finish before I ramble on too far ... but TSR's? They have always interested me. Are there any examples in the BBC Micro world?
Jalov

Post by Jalov »

Greybeard wrote:
What I am wondering is can anyone point me in the direction of an emulator of the BBC Micro known to work on Pentium-1 class PC's running Windows 98 or even (in fact, make that:- even better) under MS-DOS. :)
Like you I am still using a Pentium 1 (Win95, 75Mhz) daily...

The emulator I run on it is BeebEm 1.35, that´s the one starting with Master emulation. You can still download it on my site, the next one BeebEm 1.40 also:

www.nostalgia8.nl/beebware/beebem.135.zip

or

www.nostalgia8.nl/beebware/beebem140.zip

Greetings, Janny.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Nice info. Thanks for that. :)
BeebInC

Post by BeebInC »

You could always try the old BeebInC :)