BBC basic sdl game development

for discussion of bbc basic for windows/sdl, brandy and more
Chuckie

BBC basic sdl game development

Post by Chuckie »

To continue the discussion re game development with BBC basic sdl . It's possible to design a game without actually having any program knowledge.

So it would be a team effort. To create games like Forces of darkness originally used custom code . The Sdl version need knowledge of sdl. But the graphics could be reskinned

I quite like to see Adventure game with full graphics.

There are BBC basic windows developed that used windows gdi directly that could be converted to sdl

I like the syntax parser which I use to sometime enter code bbcmicro

It's a quest to find converts
Deleted User 9295

Re: BBC basic sdl game development

Post by Deleted User 9295 »

Chuckie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:56 pm It's a quest to find converts
I fear you are unlikely to succeed here! :(
Last edited by Deleted User 9295 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

I still use BBC Basic for prototyping various things and it is a very capable and approachable language made all the more better with the power of modern computers.

I've used BBC Basic for SDL a lot recently for my Teletext paint program and animation demos.

Absolutely fine language for game developement and I'd be happy to be involved in some way.
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

There you go. I mentioned that design can be separated from implementation so it allows for more contributors.
Just watched interesting prog on ai. I'm sure an ai routines could be implemented in BBC basic
MrGpG
Location: Wet Wales - East Cardiff as we say in the 'Port. Tidy

Post by MrGpG »

Richard Russell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 am I have not detected any interest in 'modern' versions of BBC BASIC, for game development or anything else. :(
I use "modern" BBC Basic (Windows) alongside Comal, Python and (dare I say it), Excel VBA almost daily:

Excel VBA - paid for gigs as a developer of custom functions / code for clients
Python - paid for gigs / writing a book on "problem solving" and Computer Science (in class - am a teacher)
Comal / BBC Basic - for creating number sequences - recreational maths

About the only thing in modern BBC Basic that I am actually not interested in is game development -- not even BITD was that an interest -- give me a decent number sequence or problem to solve.

FWIW - As an application language BBC Basic still has application and as a teaching tool, once I "get students past the line numbers" - they all find it easier to read / code in (than say Python).

After 40+ years it is still easier to pick up a BASIC listing and decipher what it does.... I never manged that in C/C++ or Java!!!
scruss

Post by scruss »

Chuckie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:36 pm I'm sure an ai routines could be implemented in BBC basic
All depends on how you define AI. I mean, even crude genetic algorithms like Dawkins's WEASEL is a form of AI.

But the current definition seems to be "decisions based on querying a giant database of weighted facts using an algorithm carefully chosen to match the developer's expectations while simultaneously absolving them of any responsibility for the outcome". I think you might need some extra RAM and the PROLOG eprom to do that …
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

MrGpG wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Richard Russell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 am I have not detected any interest in 'modern' versions of BBC BASIC, for game development or anything else. :(
I use "modern" BBC Basic (Windows) alongside Comal, Python and (dare I say it), Excel VBA almost daily:

Excel VBA - paid for gigs as a developer of custom functions / code for clients
Python - paid for gigs / writing a book on "problem solving" and Computer Science (in class - am a teacher)
Comal / BBC Basic - for creating number sequences - recreational maths

About the only thing in modern BBC Basic that I am actually not interested in is game development -- not even BITD was that an interest -- give me a decent number sequence or problem to solve.

FWIW - As an application language BBC Basic still has application and as a teaching tool, once I "get students past the line numbers" - they all find it easier to read / code in (than say Python).

After 40+ years it is still easier to pick up a BASIC listing and decipher what it does.... I never manged that in C/C++ or Java!!!
University of south wales have a game development degree which is not easy. Game develpment encourages problem solving and creative thinking.

Return to “modern implementations of classic programming languages”