Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #16, Thursday 22nd April 2021, 7pm - 10pm (BST)

threads for previous weeknight 'developer' sessions
Arcadian
Site Admin

Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #16, Thursday 22nd April 2021, 7pm - 10pm (BST)

Post by Arcadian »

As the new games and demo coding sections of the forum are currently very active, we are now hosting weeknight "Dev sessions" on Zoom, that are primarily focused on the development of new games and graphics/music demos for Acorn computers as well as development tools, emulators and debuggers.

They take place the week in-between the 2 x Tuesday night 'general' sessions on the Thursday evening, between 7pm and 10pm.

The sessions are intended for developers to share progress updates and request/offer help and feedback. We hope that these sessions will help motivate and encourage developers to see projects through to completion.

Just to be clear - these sessions are open to everyone: programmers, graphics artists and musicians, even if you've just got an interest/appreciation of - or ideas for - new games and demos, please come along for moral support - there may be opportunities to beta-test new versions of upcoming projects :). There really isn't a limit to the number of places available - well, the maximum we can host in a Zoom meeting is 100 but it's unlikely we'll ever get anywhere near that figure!

If there are any issues you'd like help with - or would like to demonstrate something - please leave details in the thread and we'll add them to the lists of items to be covered.

If you are new to Zoom, forum member JudgeBeeb has written a handy guide to getting set up and logged in.

I've already sent invites out to most of the Dev Night regulars, but should anybody else want to attend - or if you haven't received the Zoom logins - please post in this thread and I will issue a calendar invite email that contains the logins.

Note: by requesting a place at this event, you consent to receiving the Zoom logins in the form of a calendar invite sent via the ABug Google account to the email address you have associated with your Stardot account. If you have a different email address associated with your calendar (e.g. a Gmail account) please PM me to let me know the email address you'd like us to use. Alternately, we can issue you with the Zoom logins via PM if absolutely necessary, though this is non-preferred as it does add to the admin process.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
chrissawer

Re: Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #16, Thursday 22nd April 2021, 7pm - 10pm (BST)

Post by chrissawer »

I will hopefully be there this evening but might be a bit late
dudleysoft71

Re: Weeknight 'Virtual' Dev session #16, Thursday 22nd April 2021, 7pm - 10pm (BST)

Post by dudleysoft71 »

I'll be there tonight, not go anything to show really, I don't think a demonstration of the Frontier installer will be particularly exciting. :lol:
James Watson - DudleySoft

BBC Model B 32K - PiTubeDirect, Pi1Mhz, Smally Mouse, Gotek, DFS/ADFS, 4xSWRAM.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I'll be a bit late but should be there before 8...
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'll be there, but have only added killing things, but no explosions, so not very interesting!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks everyone for an enjoyable evening. I hope I struck the right balance and didn't over-steer the conversation. My ideals are, I think:
- everyone had a good experience and would be back next time
- everyone who wanted advice, feedback, or help got it
- everyone who had something to say had a chance to contribute
- no-one got too annoyed or bored

Dave likes to take a roll call, I think, so here goes (hope I didn't miss anyone)
- tricky (Richard)
- dp11 (Dominic)
- chrissawer (Chris)
- biged (Ed)
- arcadian (Dave) (part-time)
- oss003 (Kees)
- markdryan (Mark)
- dudleysoft71 (James)
- elk1984 (Trevor)
- wifisheep (Tom)
- picosonic (Jasper)
- chrisn (Chris)
- pernod (Nigel)
- damiensturdy (Damien)

A few links shared in the chat:
From tricky:
Build your own video card (Ben Eater) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rce6IQDWs

From Tom W:
http://coco-pi.com/ (a boot-to-6809 emulator distro for Pi, I think)

From Nigel (Pernod):
https://binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/Positron/ (a very rare 6809 beast)

Tom also mentioned the 1989 book Computer Control, by Henry Hawes and David Parry, from the Starting Design & Technology Series. Can be borrowed to read online here.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks BigEd, you do a good job hosting the session, giving everyone time to contribute and keeping the conversation flowing =D> I'm always interested to hear everyone's project updates, even if I haven't made a lot of progress on my own...
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks for the kind words! I do hope one day I'll have some project of my own to say something about...
tricky

Post by tricky »

I would describe your hosting skills as a friendly uncle whom you love to visit :)
You do have projects, but there are more of us than you.
I sometimes think that after a few people give their updates that I've done nothing, which is often true :lol: but actually there are only a few updates from many projects at two per month, do actually off you have an update a month your are bettering the average.
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

I always find it interesting listing in to peoples dev progress on Acorn hardware.

It’s also interesting to find out about how everyone was introduced to the platforms and at what stage in their life.

Definitely for me something which has shaped my journey and career with development.

Thanks to all who contributed to the chat and for keeping the Acorn scene going.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

:blush:

Glad to hear that others share my interest in the history side - the personal history especially.

I did make a few small contributions to the easy6502 tutorial so it was nice to hear that that had been part of the story, for Chris IIRC.

Tom said some nice things about our community. One of the things I love is that while we do have people with great expertise and productivity, we also include people who are getting started and everywhere in between. At every stage, I suppose, there's a struggle, and we recognise that struggle, and we help, without a hint of point-scoring.

Return to “past weeknight 'developer' sessions”