Converting files in an adf to uef format

having trouble with an archived file? post in here!
controlbreak

Converting files in an adf to uef format

Post by controlbreak »

I'm in the final stages of updating my old text adventure for re-release on the Elk/Beeb. I've been using Elkulator very successfully, updating progress to adf format disk images, but I now would like to generate a uef file. What's the easiest way to do this? Is there a tool to select files from an adf and write them to an uef image? I've spent a couple of hours attempting to capture the audio output from a Elkulator tape save, but I've had issues with makeuefam recognising the audio, and it does it rather long winded! Any suggestions very welcome!
Loftcat Software on itch.io https://loftcat.itch.io/
lurkio

Re: Converting files in an adf to uef format

Post by lurkio »

I would use BeebEm in Master 128 mode, which should have ADFS preconfigured.

If you bring up the Tape Control window and press the Record button you'll be prompted to create a new UEF tape-image file. Do it. Then press Record again to put the tape into recording mode.

Switch to ADFS and type *OPT1,2

Then for each individual file, *LOAD it off the ADFS disc-image into memory, switch to tape, and *SAVE it to tape, specifying the correct file-length and load and exec addresses. (Or use the *XFER command in the ADT ROM to save time. But you'd need to install the ADT ROM first.)

That's how I'd do it anyway.

:idea:
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

There are also David Boddie's Python scripts here: https://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Project ... index.html

They're old (you'll need Python 2 to run them) but I still make use of them every now and again.

But Lurkio's solution may well be the easiest - and I'd definitely install a rom image of ADT v2.00 so you can use the *XFER ADFS TAPE command.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
controlbreak

Post by controlbreak »

Perfect that works great!

Okay one more question... saving a screen to tape - I'm using the following to save the title screen to tape:

10 *LOAD ULTSCR1 FFFF3000
20 A$=GET$
30 *TAPE
40 *SAVE ULTSCR1 FFFF3000+5000

Is there something I can add to the *SAVE to prevent the RECORD then RETURN message appearing? Or alternatively can I save the screen as a memory block somehow?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

controlbreak wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 am Is there something I can add to the *SAVE to prevent the RECORD then RETURN message appearing? Or alternatively can I save the screen as a memory block somehow?
In BeebEm in Master 128 mode, type in the following lines, in sequence, in "immediate mode", directly at the BASIC command prompt -- don't turn them into a BASIC program with line-numbers etc.:

Code: Select all

MODE 7
*LOAD ULTSCR1 FFFF1900
*TAPE
*SAVE ULTSCR1 FFFF1900+5000 FFFF3000 FFFF3000
The last two addresses are the exec address and the load address respectively (if I remember rightly!).

Last edited by lurkio on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
controlbreak

Post by controlbreak »

Thanks you for your help and reply.

After a little thought I came up with a simplier solution that worked for me.. The top and bottom of the screen are black so I just changed to COLOUR 0. Just doing to final testing and checking then I'll be posting the game on this forum!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

controlbreak wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 pm After a little thought I came up with a simplier solution that worked for me.. The top and bottom of the screen are black so I just changed to COLOUR 0.
Glad you got it working, but it's possible that my previous post was confusing. I've edited it to clarify what I meant.

The commands I listed are supposed to be typed in as a sequence of individual commands. Type them in directly at the BASIC commandline prompt. Wait for each command to finish executing before you type in the next one. Don't put them into a BASIC program to try to RUN them as a sort of batch process -- that isn't necessary and might not work.

controlbreak

Post by controlbreak »

lurkio wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:48 pm
controlbreak wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 pm After a little thought I came up with a simplier solution that worked for me.. The top and bottom of the screen are black so I just changed to COLOUR 0.
Glad you got it working, but it's possible that my previous post was confusing. I've edited it to clarify what I meant.

The commands I listed are supposed to be typed in as a sequence of individual commands. Type them in directly at the BASIC commandline prompt. Wait for each command to finish executing before you type in the next one. Don't put them into a BASIC program to try to RUN them as a sort of batch process -- that isn't necessary and might not work.

Ah I see, I didn't quite get the result I wanted first time and just when I was about to ask I figured out the method using the colour change. However I'll give your method another go as this is clearly more versatile - I may not always have blank areas on the screen!

Return to “archive issues”