The stupidestest RPCEmu question

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
IanJeffray

The stupidestest RPCEmu question

Post by IanJeffray »

This is fairly embarassing, but - how do I un-capture the mouse from RPCEmu in Windows?
The only way I could figure to get out of it was to Windows-tab, then select a different app.
(Yes I looked at the source, no I couldn't figure out what was going on, and no I don't think this is documented in the manual)
lurkio

Re: The stupidestest RPCEmu question

Post by lurkio »

Is it Ctrl-End?

:?:
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 pm This is fairly embarassing, but - how do I un-capture the mouse from RPCEmu in Windows?
Not as embarrassing as this: I thought "I've never noticed that the mouse is captured..." So I started RPCEmu, had a quick look in Settings/Mouse and unclicked Follow Host Mouse. Then it captured my mouse and I saw at the top of the RPCEmu window "Press CTRL-END to release mouse". The problem was, I didn't even know I had a key called END. It took far too long to find it up above the numeric keypad.

That key is also labelled "sys rq" whatever that is?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Ahh that'd be why I'm struggling. This mac mini keyboard I use has no END key. #-o
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:27 pm Ahh that'd be why I'm struggling. This mac mini keyboard I use has no END key. #-o
Try Ctrl-fn-right_arrow

:?:
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

lurkio wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:27 pm Ahh that'd be why I'm struggling. This mac mini keyboard I use has no END key. #-o
Try Ctrl-fn-right_arrow
Good call, but it's a mac keyboard on a Windows PC... the 'fn' does nada, alas.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:16 pm
lurkio wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Try Ctrl-fn-right_arrow
Good call, but it's a mac keyboard on a Windows PC... the 'fn' does nada, alas.
Turn the computer off and on again :roll: :lol:

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flibble

Post by flibble »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:16 pm Good call, but it's a mac keyboard on a Windows PC... the 'fn' does nada, alas.
That sounds like a you problem :lol:
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

flibble wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:16 pm Good call, but it's a mac keyboard on a Windows PC... the 'fn' does nada, alas.
That sounds like a you problem :lol:
Sure, but it's unfortunate that RPCemu is the only s/w I use that actually requires an 'END' key :shock:
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

How about this for a slightly left-field solution. I haven't got a Mac Keyboard to test it, but I've tried the theory with a standard keyboard, so don't see why it wouldn't work. Anyway here goes...

Assuming Windows 10.

Go to settings- ease of access - keyboard - use your device without a physical keyboard - use the on screen keyboard. Turn it on.
(You can leave the Settings Window open, to make it easier to turn it off again). Despite what it appears to suggest, you now effectively have two keyboards, a physical one and an on screen one, which you can click with your mouse)

It will now appear in the middle of your screen. Click on the - (ie minimise it). It will now be hidden from view, but still there...

Fire up RPCEmu. Do whatever you need to do. The physical keyboard should work just fine. When you want Ctrl-End or indeed any key that you can't find on the Mac Keyboard, press ALT and using TAB cycle through the open Windows until you have the On Screen Keyboard selected. Release ALT key. The On Screen Keyboard should appear. Use the mouse to click CTRL and END.

Bit long winded maybe, ideally there must be way of changing the key mapping. But can't see anything obvious
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

acorndave wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 pm How about this for a slightly left-field solution.
(snip!)

Um, heh, that's just a lot more complicated verison of what I do already - just windows-tab and select any other window. The question was answered fine anyway - ctrl-end, assuming you have the appropriate hardware :) Point stands about it being apparently undocumented tho.
IanS

Post by IanS »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 pm Point stands about it being apparently undocumented tho.
rpc_mouse.png
Fairly sure that's how I worked it out.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

IanS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:35 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 pm Point stands about it being apparently undocumented tho.
rpc_mouse.png

Fairly sure that's how I worked it out.
Heebus. Never noticed that before (obviously!). #-o TBF, on Windows 10 it's not so easy to read - light grey on white:
PRPCemu.PNG
I knew I'd get stick for this thread though :oops:
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 pm Sure, but it's unfortunate that RPCemu is the only s/w I use that actually requires an 'END' key :shock:
I am now giving unduly serious consideration to designing a device which plugs in over USB, and has just one (1) button on it.

Guess what the button does.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Diminished wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 pm
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 pm Sure, but it's unfortunate that RPCemu is the only s/w I use that actually requires an 'END' key :shock:
I am now giving unduly serious consideration to designing a device which plugs in over USB, and has just one (1) button on it.

Guess what the button does.
Yep, I've created similar things for folks in the past - these are ideal physically bijou platforms: http://digistump.com/products/1

I love the feel and size of this Mac keyboard a lot, but the lack of DEL and END has been intermittently annoying, so a do think a wee two-button digistump is going to be fettled fairly soon.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

IanJeffray wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 pm Yep, I've created similar things for folks in the past - these are ideal physically bijou platforms: http://digistump.com/products/1
Haha, nice. I wasn't really even being serious, but the Internet has this talent for making a fool of me.

Tangential: My brain's first attempt to type the word "talent" in the above sentence instead resulted in the word "telnet". :/

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”