New music conversion - Gimmick!

new graphics/music demos - bitshifters, 0xc0de, The Master + others
SarahWalker

New music conversion - Gimmick!

Post by SarahWalker »

Following on a mere 5 months since Castlevania, here's a new Famicom music conversion - Gimmick! (or Mr. Gimmick as he's known in the ultra-rare Sweden-only NES release). Gimmick has an AY-8910 in the cartridge, meaning the music is using 8 voices (2 pulse, 3 square, 1 triangle, 1 noise, 1 sample). These are mixed at 9 kHz and played through the Beeb sound chip.

This is Master 128 only, requires ADFS, and needs all of SWRAM banks 4-7 to be available. As with Castlevania, real hardware is strongly recommended, along with some kind of external amplification!
gimmick.png
Attachments
Gimmick.zip
(155.89 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
SarahWalker

Re: New music conversion - Gimmick!

Post by SarahWalker »

Well I guess this means not much interest in these music conversions anymore...
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I'm going to bring my Master down especially to play it today (I've only got a B set up at the moment). I resisted the urge to try it under emulation as I want to hear it properly!

Please keep going with the music conversions, Sarah - the boards have seemingly been a lot less busy the last few weeks as I think a lot of people will have other things on their minds at the moment. There have been 18 downloads so far at least, could just do with hearing some feedback from some of those who've already been able to run it (on real hardware, ideally). Anyone?

The forums are actually getting a big restructure commencing later tonight and there'll be a specific section for graphics and music demos, which will hopefully help lead to more demos and music discs being produced!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

SarahWalker wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:38 am Well I guess this means not much interest in these music conversions anymore...
Definitely interest here, but haven't tried it yet due to being busy emulating the Prisma, and not having a Master so limited to emulation. All of your demos are professionally presented and sound awesome, especially those you did for BeebOPL. Keep up the good work :D
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Have you though of outputting via the printer port as well, just in case someone has hooked up a D2A?
I think I do this on the AstroBlaster into, but can't remember now.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

tricky wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:42 am Have you though of outputting via the printer port as well, just in case someone has hooked up a D2A?
Zone66 at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12057&p=256264#p161928 does this, and is supported in MAME.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Problem with DAC output is I also use the Beeb's noise channel, and I was a bit worried about how well they would mix in most setups...
anightin

Post by anightin »

Thank you Sarah for creating these and sharing. :D

I never owned a Famicom (but have a Famicom style controller on my Gigatron)

Having said that, listening to these, it's clear the Nintendo music DNA is present -- actually some of the tunes reminded me of playing the Gameboy Advance when it first came out (using Japanese carts).

Ran first time on my Master, after I spent a few minutes getting the K key working again after a long slumber :shock:
IMG_6668.jpeg
All good now!

Keep up the great work =D>
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

Need to try ASAP !!!!!!!!

Return to “new projects and releases: demoscene”