NOVA Online Invite - a new Bitshifters demo for the BBC Master

new graphics/music demos - bitshifters, 0xc0de, The Master + others
kieranhj

NOVA Online Invite - a new Bitshifters demo for the BBC Master

Post by kieranhj »

Hello all. Another day, another demo? We are spoiling you at the moment, it seems. :D

The NOVA demoparty is going online this year, due to Coronavirus, so we thought we'd make an invitation to let everyone know about it. It's quite different in style from the BEEB-NICCC demo, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. All details, including the disc image are available on our Bitshifters website. BBC Master only again, I'm afraid, lots of RAM needed! https://bitshifters.github.io/posts/pro ... nvite.html

Let us know what you think and come join us online at the end of June...

bs-nova-invite.gif
bs-nova-invite.gif (63.42 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
Diminished

Re: NOVA Online Invite - a new Bitshifters demo for the BBC Master

Post by Diminished »

Thanks kieran (and others), I needed that. Beautiful.

Invitationals are often my favourites. There's something slightly more relaxed about them. It might be because more emphasis is placed on creating an appealing overall audio-visual experience, whereas a bleeding-edge effect might be technically very impressive, but somehow less cinematic.

I'll stop before I begin sounding like a film student.

Oh, and congratulations on the silver medal. Well deserved.

(Is there some history behind the fire alarm thing? I think there is some history behind the fire alarm thing.)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

ooh - threes and fives! good symmetries...
tricky

Post by tricky »

Diminished wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 am...Invitationals are often my favourites...
Thanks, now I understand what an "invitation" in the demo scene is - I think!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

kieranhj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 pm Another day, another demo
BBC Master? Sorry, but no. No, no, no. I see it, but I don't believe it. Those cartoony sketch-like drawings at the end are particularly hard to swallow. Full marks for effort, I suppose, but, really, how gullible do you think I am..?

:wink:
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

Really enjoyed that Kieran. The music is so impressive. Something different.............
I love the visuals. Very well done.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Awesome demo Kieran and everyone else who contributed!

There is definitely some history behind the fire alarm thing. :D At Nova 2019 the alarm went off at the end of the Friday evening, owing to the amount of smoke from the smoke machines. Some poor soul had to get up at almost midnight and come down to the hall to turn it off. This led to various jokes including people sampling the sound of the fire alarm and building it into a demo the following night, etc.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

VectorEyes wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 amsampling the sound of the fire alarm and building it into a demo the following night
I approve of this
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

The most important part of the fire alarm story is that nobody noticed for about 10 minutes during the DJ set. :D

I'm glad you all like the demo, it was a lot of fun to make!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I have just had a very quick look at this... it's incredible! I think its possibly your best demo yet.

I did find what I think is a bug in the BASIC loader though. It wouldn't run on my Compact because it is looking for host types 3 (Master) or 6 (Archimedes). When I changed 6 to 5 it worked perfectly.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

jms2 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:02 am I have just had a very quick look at this... it's incredible! I think its possibly your best demo yet.

I did find what I think is a bug in the BASIC loader though. It wouldn't run on my Compact because it is looking for host types 3 (Master) or 6 (Archimedes). When I changed 6 to 5 it worked perfectly.
Oops! Thank you for spotting that. I copied the code from somewhere else but I guess that also wasn’t tested properly. :oops:

There is no reason why it shouldn’t work on a Compact so thanks for trying and glad you enjoyed it!

EDIT: I've pushed an updated disc image to the website with that fix. :-

Return to “new projects and releases: demoscene”