ABUG Cambridge May 2020: NOW A 1-DAY VIRTUAL "ZOOM" EVENT ON SAT 16 MAY

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
richardtoohey

Re: ABUG Cambridge Booking Thread - May 15-17th 2020

Post by richardtoohey »

Was working out if I could fit this in with my planned UK trip in May. But looks like I'm not going anywhere now because of COVID-19. Another time.
flibble

Post by flibble »

I note that from today the museum has announced it's closure until a future date due to COVID-19 precautions.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/page ... statement/

My advice for anyone booking hotel accommodation for this event makes sure that it's on a 'cancel-able' rate, as surely we have to consider the possibility of it not necessarily going ahead.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
as flibble notes.. the museum is closed as of today 16th March due to the Corona virus concerns.

For the time being I've decided to keep the booking thread open. We don't know whether the virus situation will get better or worse and and the meet-up is still a couple of months away at the time of writing.

Like flibble said - I'd advise getting accommodation that can be cancelled if you're booking ahead at this point.

I'll see how things develop over coming weeks. If the situation hasn't changed by third week of April I'll cancel the event.
I'll update the top post in this thread.
Thanks,
Jason
**updated per JudgeBeeb's suggestion
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 am I'll see how things develop over coming weeks. If the situation hasn't changed by third week of April I'll cancel the event.
Why is it necessary to cancel the event at all? Surely, if the museum is open on 15 May, those who are still able to go can go and those that aren't, won't.

It's not as if there is any financial commitment to the venue or a promise of a minimum number of attendees. Plus, if the museum has by then been closed for over a month they will welcome both the fact that we are attending and the entrance fees we will pay.

Why not just leave everything as is, with a big warning at the top of the page that the event may not take place and advising people to book cancellable rooms?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

ABUG Cambridge Booking Thread - May 15-17th 2020

Post by jbnbeeb »

I've added IanS and CMorley.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

You raise good points JudgeBeeb. I've updated the top post and my earlier message accordingly.

Thanks,
Jason
JudgeBeeb wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am
jbnbeeb wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 am I'll see how things develop over coming weeks. If the situation hasn't changed by third week of April I'll cancel the event.
Why is it necessary to cancel the event at all? Surely, if the museum is open on 15 May, those who are still able to go can go and those that aren't, won't.

It's not as if there is any financial commitment to the venue or a promise of a minimum number of attendees. Plus, if the museum has by then been closed for over a month they will welcome both the fact that we are attending and the entrance fees we will pay.

Why not just leave everything as is, with a big warning at the top of the page that the event may not take place and advising people to book cancellable rooms?
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: ABUG Cambridge May 2020: NOW A 1-DAY VIRTUAL "ZOOM" EVENT ON SAT 16 MAY

Post by Arcadian »

jbnbeeb has now scheduled a 1-day 'virtual' conference on Sat 16 May which replaces the physical ABug meeting that was originally due to take place on 15-17 May in Cambridge.

It will use the "Zoom" service and Jason Fitzpatrick from the Centre for Computing History will also be participating.

Please go here for details of the new virtual event.

This thread will now be locked.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”