ABug Scotland virtual meeting

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Rfairman

ABug Scotland virtual meeting

Post by Rfairman »

We had our first virtual meeting at 2pm BST. We had 9 participants. We used facebook messenger video without any serious problems. No dropouts no lag and minimal audio feedback easily cured by muting microphones when not talking. Very productive sharing our skills, experience and equipment lists. Thanks to all who participated
Regards

Richard
BigEd

Re: ABug Scotland virtual meeting

Post by BigEd »

Sounds great, and I quite like the idea of encouraging participation only with people who might otherwise have turned up - it's a local meeting. Was anyone missing because they don't use FaceBook?
Rfairman

Post by Rfairman »

One stardot member converted to Facebook a few days prior to the meeting We have one other person from startdot who does not have facebook Hopefully we can encourage them to join soon

Richard
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Is it possible to join without signing up to facebook? When I have to visit FB, I use an incognito window. It may be a little extreme, but I think I'm not alone in trying to avoid it, which is why I asked.

It may be that there's no universally acceptable way to do video meetings - every solution has its detractors. It's good that you had a good session!
Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut »

Very informative session chaired and moderated by Richard. =D> The Facebook Messenger system worked remarkably well and the limit of 6 participants is unfounded as we had 9 active participants at one stage. There were only two distractions for me:
  • I was trying to map faces and names to position on the screen but these changed at least three times during the session. I don't know why but it may have been caused by temporary dropouts
  • It would help, especially until we get used to identifying one another, if each participant set up their camera to show a passport type portrait and refrain from dotting on and off camera.
Hopefully, our next session will move on to a "show and tell" with each item previously scheduled on the agenda so my second point above may become irrelevant.

It is good to see that at least one participant (Dominic) got a solution to his quest for a source for a replacement Keyboard Bezel. I think that counts as "productive" :)

I look forward to the next meeting.
Like Life, the Beeb is about the Journey, not the Destination
BBC B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual Floppy; MMFSv2 & 4x16K SWRAM
BBC B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
BBC B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”