RISC OS South West Show Saturday 22nd February 2020

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
RobC

RISC OS South West Show Saturday 22nd February 2020

Post by RobC »

I've just had an email from Richard Brown to confirm that this year's RISC OS South West Show will be held at the Arnos Manor Hotel, Bristol on Saturday, 22nd of February.

Last year, a few of us 8-bit users met up and had a stand. Does anyone fancy doing the same this year? I'll probably take one or two Beebs running VideoNuLA stuff but would welcome some company.

Richard would like to know exhibitor numbers asap so please respond if you'd like to have (or share) a stand.
jregel

Re: RISC OS South West Show Saturday 22nd February 2020

Post by jregel »

I have nothing to exhibit, but would be interested in coming down for the day if there's some 8bit activity going on.
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I could come along. Bristol isn't rally all that far from Oxford...

I'd probably bring a B perhaps with my Bad Apple demo. Or i could bring a Master for some variety if you're bringing Bs Rob?
RobC

Post by RobC »

jregel wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am I have nothing to exhibit, but would be interested in coming down for the day if there's some 8bit activity going on.
Great - I can bring my VideoNuLA programming kit if we don't get round to updating yours sooner.
cmorley wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am I'd probably bring a B perhaps with my Bad Apple demo. Or i could bring a Master for some variety if you're bringing Bs Rob?
I'll probably bring a B and a M128 so feel free to bring whatever you want. I'm sure there'll be lots of interest in your Bad Apple setup.

I'm half thinking about bringing my Penman Plotter as the Valiant got a bit of interest last year...
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm still in negotiations with the "boss" and daughter.
If I am allowd to come, I would probably bring a selection (inc compact and atom) and see what fits.
Sorry this doesn't help with space planning.
helpful

Post by helpful »

I'll be at the SW Show representing ROUGOL and generally encouraging everyone to visit their local user group (or set one up!).

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

What time do we need to be there to set up Rob? Do you know how much space we have - I'm wondering what to bring?
RobC

Post by RobC »

cmorley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm What time do we need to be there to set up Rob? Do you know how much space we have - I'm wondering what to bring?
Not had a response from Richard yet - I'll mail him tonight.
RobC

Post by RobC »

So, I've heard back from Richard. We've got two tables - last year each table was big enough to hold a couple of machines with monitors etc.

I'll only be bringing one M128 so there should be enough space for three other setups.

The room will definitely be available from 9am but may be available earlier if Richard is around. I'll probably be getting there for 9 as I have to drop my daughter off in Bristol at 8.

The show opens at 10.30 for those wishing to come along as visitors.
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

Wow i’ve only just seen this.
Was this advertised on facebook?
I’ll try and pop by for a look and chat as I live in Bristol about 10 minutes away. Unfortunately i’m working in the morning/part afternoon so i’ll get there when/if i can.
Cheers
Matt
helpful

Post by helpful »

mattyj wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:32 am Wow i’ve only just seen this.
Was this advertised on facebook?
I’ll try and pop by for a look and chat as I live in Bristol about 10 minutes away.
I couldn't see a Facebook event for it, so I just created one in the Acorn group.

Hopefully see you there :-)

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

RobC wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:52 pm I'll only be bringing one M128 so there should be enough space for three other setups.
I will bring a model B then. I'll aim for 9ish arrival as well.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Just a bump to say that the RISC OS SW Show is today at the Arnos Manor Hotel, Bristol.

There should be a few of us from here at the show so, if you're able to make it, it would be great to meet up.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm sorry that I'll be missing this, but I have hurt my back (carrying Beeb's and CRTs) and can't face the drive.
Enjoy your selves and share a pic or two for those of us their in spirit
RobC

Post by RobC »

tricky wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 pm I'm sorry that I'll be missing this, but I have hurt my back (carrying Beeb's and CRTs) and can't face the drive.
Enjoy your selves and share a pic or two for those of us their in spirit
Sorry you couldn't make it tricky and hope your back improves soon. My daughter did play your Frogger for a bit so you were there in spirit :D She also spent a fair bit of time playing Lemmings under my CPC emulator so was quite possibly the first person to play Lemmings on a Beeb!

The show was fairly quiet (possibly due to the weather) but it was good to meet up with Chris, Dave, Rich and Matt. (Apologies if I missed anyone.)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I missed it... but anyone can play "who's that?" at home with the delayed-action live screening by Wifi Sheep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJk6JrikdOY
I think I've scored 4 points.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I should add, there's an interview with RobC in that live stream, lots about VideoNuLA and some mentions of PiTubeDirect and Pi on 1MHz Bus.
https://youtu.be/oJk6JrikdOY?t=12504
Starts at about the 3h30 mark.

Return to “past events & exhibitions”