Planetoid/Defender

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Fraser

Planetoid/Defender

Post by Fraser »

These games appear to be different. Defender has the aliens doubled up and fires goes straight through them sometimes. Model B and BeebEm both show the same problems. Lost and Found says its just a change of name but its more than that.
CMcDougall

Gauntlet

Post by CMcDougall »

Dont have that prob m8, u could try Gauntlet by Micro Power, its far better. Its an Electron game, but works on a beeb if u take out some lines of loader. Only thing is after that, it does not show the hill scene at the top of intro/ Hi-score screen! Apart from that its brill!
ImageImageImage
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I've played all the Electron Defender games. Guardian is the one I prefer to play. Nobody has confirmed yet that there is an emulation bug with Defender. I am not able to try it on a real BBC.
CMcDougall

Defender -yo Frazer m8!

Post by CMcDougall »

Yeah found that aswell, are u using the STH disc collection, yeah, if so go to AC2-r1, this had Modified/Super Defender on it that do work! Or u could download the files/inf ones from another site and put through BBC Explorer 2.01, if you really want it to work.

Another game thats pooped is Felix in the factory, but this is the disc image, as you *DUMP file, its half of the !MENU file. Cant be bad though, Mr STH has done 144+ discs, i cant even get 1 of mine to work so far!

Cheers CM 8)
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

I've ran it from an original tape and the bug is still present with BeebEm.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

ModelBs site lists the Defender doubled up alien bug so it was actually known about before I brought it up.
CMcDougall

yo

Post by CMcDougall »

Another game that will not work is Graphic Adventure Creator. This will need a real beeb, unless someone has hacked it?

Dont think the disc will go back to a beeb either, as am sure i had to copy it with the ADI rom. :roll: CM 8)
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Maybe Defender has a random number generated for alien starting positions. If the generator uses unemulated hardware then the figure generated is identical for a few aliens. B-Em, BeebEm and ModelB all have the bug.
melchett

Post by melchett »

Hi Fraser,

I have tried this game under Mess (0.97b), BeebEm 2.3 beta 3 and B-Em 0.8 and whilst I experience the occasional shot passing through an alien, I have yet to see the doubling up of aliens you describe. What versions of the emulators are you using? And under what OS? I'm running XP and it looks vaguely ok to me? I never played Defender on a real beeb (just Planetoid) so not sure if that was a bug in the original game - from your earlier posts I think you were suggesting that this was peculiar to the emulators only?

It was a pleasure actually to play both Defender and Planetoid again - I think Planetoid was one of the first three games I ever played on a Beeb as it came bundled with it together with Snapper and Rocket Raid. I think this contributed to me using the computer more as a games machine than the educational tool my parents intended :D Never got very far with Planetoid though as a young child. Always spent far too much time trying to save the first human I find being stolen by aliens - sure there was a better strategy?

M.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

There is usually 3 or 4 that appear together and follow the same course. Sometimes the chart shows 2 dots when they happen to separate a bit. When I shoot them I see 3 or 4 explosions because I am killing 3 or 4. Also they send a lot of shots which is difficult to play with which again accounts for the 3 or 4 aliens together.

I use W2000. All the emulators I use show the same bug.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

The people are also bunched up. The ship explosion too has the bits bunched up. It all seems to suffer from the same random number generator bug.
CMcDougall

No no

Post by CMcDougall »

Its not that Mr R, :( its something to do with the TFS. Found a version on my discs that did work :lol: . To save loadsa typing:- Load up disc AC1-r1a from the STH coll, in any emulator. Load Planetoid first, press Space to get game up, press Break.

Now load up menu again (if BeebEm2.2+ then load disc again, cant seem to get back to drive0 :x ). Choose Defender, dont need to press Space, and hey presto, u have it! :P

The only diff i can see is there is no 'Hall of fame' :cry: , just a last/high score at top, and space to play again!

And if it doesnt work 4u (like the tape that u did 4 me) then u need WinXP/GraphicsCard/SoundCard/bla bla bla. :wink:

Happy gaming CM :)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”