New adventure - Send in the Clones

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
Lardo Boffin

New adventure - Send in the Clones

Post by Lardo Boffin »

During the testing and building of the adventure parsing framework I have been working on I built an adventure to test it. This is that adventure! I don't make any claims that it is any good or bug free but you can play it to the end. I figured that having written it I may as well put it up on here. Please let me know about any issues. :D

The only play tester it has had so far has accurately described it as frustrating, annoying and excessively difficult. The word confusing may have been in there as well. Play at your own risk. :evil:

The game is set in the world of Paranoia, based on the tabletop RPG from the mid 80's. This is a post apocalyptic world where the only known human survivors inhabit the underground city called Alpha Complex. Alpha Complex is run by Friend Computer. Unfortunately after the cataclysmic event that caused most of humanity to be wiped out the Computer got damaged. It searched its data banks for a possible cause and came up with the explanation that it was the Commies responsible. Since then it has been on a mission to root out and destroy all Commies and any other traitor. Other traitors include mutants, secret society members or just people with too much knowledge. Nearly everyone in Alpha Complex is a mutant or member of a secret society...
High programmers (or ultra-violets) have been messing with the Computers programming for centuries in order to further their own aims. This has lead to the Computer being dangerously eccentric and paranoid. Saying so is of course treason and punishable by summary execution. Luckily however all people live in clone families with 8 clones per family.

Progression in society is based on a simple colour scheme:-

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Ultra-violet

Red are the lowest of the low. Service to Friend Computer may see you promoted. Or executed for some imagined treason. Imagine HAL programmed by Monty Python in a movie directed by Rob Zombie.

You play a red level troubleshooter - someone employed to shoot trouble. Literally. Unfortunately you are one of the many traitors the Computer is seeking to eradicate. You will of course need to keep this secret in order to survive.

The game understands the usual Verb / Noun / Noun / Adverb type of arrangement. Word order doesn't really matter. Extra words are ignored. You can shorten a lot of the words to the first three letters.

There are two versions of the game in the image - one that expects to be able to save progress as it goes (independently of the user triggered save facility) and one that does not and could be run read-only from a web site etc.

You can save multiple games by giving them different names, e.g. SAVE ONE, SAVE TWO etc. followed by LOAD ONE or LOAD TWO. You do not need to include the prefix of S. for the save folder (SAVE ONE will create the file S.ONE). If you just type SAVE it will save in a default save slot and just typing LOAD will load it.

If running in an emulator switch off disc access sounds. It will run a lot faster (all messages are loaded on the fly and this includes room descriptions). On a real beeb I suggest using an SD card or similar to avoid destroying your floppy disc!

A walk-through is available...

And remember you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
Attachments
SITC.ssd
Send in the clones
(113.25 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
lurkio

Re: New adventure - Send in the Clones

Post by lurkio »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pmThe only play tester it has had so far described it as frustrating, annoying and excessively difficult. The word confusing may have been in there as well.
Wow, that playtester sounds like a real jerk! Which is the complete opposite of me, who's helpfully provided this link so that people can play the game online, in-browser.

Choose option 3 and start a read-only game:

"THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND."

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

lurkio wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pmThe only play tester it has had so far described it as frustrating, annoying and excessively difficult. The word confusing may have been in there as well.
Wow, that playtester sounds like a real jerk! Which is the complete opposite of me, who's helpfully provided this link so that people can play the game online, in-browser:

"THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND."

:idea:
Thanks for the link! And I will amend my text appropriately.

Edit - text amended to cast the only (and very helpful) play tester in a more appropriate light.

Stay alert. Trust no one. Keep your laser handy.
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elk
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

A treasonous bug in the main menu has been spotted and dealt with. Thanks to my almost certainly ex-play-tester for spotting that one!

The link on the initial post has been updated.
Elk
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I see that this has been downloaded a few times now. Anyone made any progress?
Elk
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 pm I see that this has been downloaded a few times now. Anyone made any progress?
Admissions to the local mental help clinics have apparently gone up...
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 pm
Lardo Boffin wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 pm I see that this has been downloaded a few times now. Anyone made any progress?
Admissions to the local mental help clinics have apparently gone up...
:D
Elk
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

20 downloads. Anyone got anywhere? :?
Elk
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

I did download it, and it's on my list of games to play (along with Ravenwood) but I never find the time.
Last edited by iamaran on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

When I play the online version I get the Computer Briefing and I'm given an assignment but then it crashes at line 320 I think. Says there's a Disc read error.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I wasn’t aware of the on-line option until very late on and up until that point it expected to be able to save to disc at various points. It may well be one of those I forgot to comment out.
Its ‘better’ played on a beeb with an SD card to be honest. Or an emulator with disc access noises switched off.
I will have a look at the code and see why it is dying.
Elk
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Dethmunk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:58 pm When I play the online version I get the Computer Briefing and I'm given an assignment but then it crashes at line 320 I think. Says there's a Disc read error.
I can't reproduce the crash. I'm using the following link.

Choose option 3 and start a read-only game:

And I'm doing this:
Lardo Boffin wrote:Clone 1
Choose any society, any skill apart from Sharp Shooter and the Aware mutation.
Head east immediately to the briefing. Head south from the briefing ...
:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

I played the version on your link and got a bit further but then got the same error here....

You're probably right its some sort of disc read. :(
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Thanks for trying!

Yes - that is definitely a disc read issue. It is trying to write to the achievements file and failing. It should not be doing that however - it is supposed to skip that in that version.

On the opening menu are you selecting 3 for a read only game?
Elk

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”