ABUG Canada West December 22 2018 Meetup #6

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
klintworth

ABUG Canada West December 22 2018 Meetup #6

Post by klintworth »

The Christmas Meetup
Ed made the trek down To Vancouver and we spent a lovely few hours looking at some of our Acorn projects on the go. First up for me was fitting and testing my new RetroClinic MicroSPI board in my Beeb. Seemed to work well, accessed the menu, but encountered occasional disk errors - could be my disk system that needs further investigation!
IMG_1982.JPG
RetroClinic MicroSPI board

Next up Ed reminded me of an educational disk I have to be copied to .ssd via his DataCentre. The disk is Christmas Tales by Resource, which he duly copied and tested.
IMG_1976.JPG
Christmas Tales - very seasonal!

Ed takes the High Score Challenge to higher levels (here he's showing me some Crazy Painter prowess - I need all the help I can get!)
IMG_1999.JPG
High Score Challenge Season 10 Champ

And finally we need a team photo!
IMG_1990.JPG
A Christmas Elf and his Reindeer!

Looking forward to further Acorn adventures next year! :D
Now over to Ed for his project report!
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
richardtoohey

Re: ABUG Canada West December 22 2018 Meetup #6

Post by richardtoohey »

klintworth wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:36 amnew RetroClinic MicroSPI board
Looks like Mark @ RetroClinic has been busy producing new goodies. :D

Thanks for the report. Good luck with Crazy Painter - think you and I will be contesting the hotly-sought-after loser spot! :lol:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Now, the rest of the story.....
It was a good plan.....it would appear that the resistor had died (R73) and I'd already linked R60 so the plan was to replacie with 2 discreet 180 ohm resistors
It was a good plan.....it would appear that the resistor had died (R73) and I'd already linked R60 so the plan was to replacie with 2 discreet 180 ohm resistors
The idea was to replace the link I'd made in a past attempt to repair my CMOS not holding the settings by replacing the link with a 180 ohm resistor. While I was at it, I'd determined by a test from MarkMak that R60 was also broken and so decided to replace that too.
This was the shape of things to come.  One of the resistors had to be replaced because yours truly bodged it.
This was the shape of things to come. One of the resistors had to be replaced because yours truly bodged it.
These were the 'preformed' to fit resistors with heat shrink so kindly supplied to me from Paul.
I didn't know until the attempt how this statement might turn out.
I didn't know until the attempt how this statement might turn out.
This worked fine before we started so we'll see what happened.
What we're working on.
What we're working on.
Nice looking hardware.....
I hadn't realized that I owned an Adelaide, it's definitely unique.
I hadn't realized that I owned an Adelaide, it's definitely unique.
I hadn't realized I had an Adelaide, I was always too busy trying to figure out what I needed to get the CMOS working to notice that, however, there it is.
Verifiably true
Verifiably true
Hard at work at figuring out my next move.
Hard at work at figuring out my next move.
The work starts and that's where I believe things started to go wrong.
Just more work going on.....
Just more work going on.....
I think I used not quite enough heat to remove the link and while pulling up with the needlenose pliers I slipped and I think I removed something that wasn't supposed to come off.
and more work.....
and more work.....
Now my attempt was to also repair my mistake. I seemingly had done so, got the resistors to attach to what I thought were the correct places, connected it all up and tested and it seemed to work fine. The problem was when I got home and was setting up, the end of the computer slipped out of my hand when I had it lifted off the table top about 6 inches. It landed quite hard on the solid table so I think I've dislodged something inside because now, though at first it started up, it won't do it without holding the R key and the hard drive and floppy isn't recognized......sigh.....well, back to the drawing board. I can get the GUI up without the disk drive or diskette drive showing on the desktop so I believe it should be a simple fix. Time will tell. It was working fine when I left Paul's, was just a bit careless at home......crikey.......!!!!
We had a bit of time for playing a game or two as well.....
We had a bit of time for playing a game or two as well.....
So, we did have a bit of fun with the game that is currently running on *. in the HSC. Please, more people join in, it's a great game and we can't just let Jools run rough-shod over us like this. He's the king of these types of games but he needs a solid challenger.
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

One or two final things about yesterday......
10-'Modern' PDA.jpg
This is my new/old PDA from Acorn. It works very well and is a bit of fun. I doubt it will ever see any serious use but it's a nice bit of kit. I purchased this one from Ian Fraser so Ian, if you're on *., yes, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Final notes - I'd like to thank Paul and Melanie for their kind hospitality. We had a very nice lunch together, though it did break up the work on the A3010.....just saying.....no, I really appreciated the lunch, it was much needed at that point. Melanie really supports Paul quite nicely in his retro seeking endevours, very nice to see.

Also many thanks to Paul who has given me some nice information on my new 'PDA'. I don't know where he keeps coming up with these pamphlets, booklets, information but every time we meet, I seem to go home with more that what I came with.....and some nice bit of hardware for furthering the builds of a Gotek. It's a project we'll take on together I think down the road as Paul has already successfully built one of his own. I'm afraid I chickened out and bought one from Mark, though the screen went faulty after a couple weeks and I have replaced that since. Works great though. A couple of other items that I received from Paul were CDs with emulators and RISC software.......

So that's it from this month's ABUG meeting in Canada.

I would like to to take the time to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and prosperous Happy New Year. The more prosperous, the more kit, who could ask for more?
Last edited by KarateEd on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Just a short follow up on my A3010 - When I got it home of course it wasn't working as advertised. It seems that I'l been lax in putting the IDE cable for the diskette drive back in. This meant that both the HD and diskette drive didn't show up on the desktop. Once I did all that, it was fine. The last thing left to do to ensure my fix worked as it should is turn the machine off tonight and turn it on again tomorrow morning and see if all is good.

I'll update here one way or the other.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

It appears I will have to replace the wire I took off the CMOS chip. It's not holding the settings over night so......back to the drawing board.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Just thinking you guys should try Opus's Dogfight next time you meet ... that's a fun two-player game! :D
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

That's a good idea - love that game! :D
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Something like this please:
dogfight.jpg
Hmm, am I off-topic ... [-X
tricky

Post by tricky »

Have you tried j Bi Plane by our own jbnbeeb (may require a pair of joysticks and ear protectors :lol: )

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”