ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) DATE CONFIRMED

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
JudgeBeeb

ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) DATE CONFIRMED

Post by JudgeBeeb »

THIS IS NOT A BOOKING THREAD!

I have been in touch with Chris at the Ely Hotel (https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/our-lo ... blackwater) and he has offered us three potential dates in January and February. Unfortunately, I am away for two of the weekends in question and I feel I need to be there if I am the organiser!

So, at the moment, the choice is either 18 to 20 January 2019 or looking for dates in March and April.

Any thoughts, comments or observations?
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
danielj

Re: ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by danielj »

March/April is very close to Wakefield, but not sure what the consideration is around a northern event at the mo?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

danielj wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:11 pm March/April is very close to Wakefield, but not sure what the consideration is around a northern event at the mo?
Simon (sydney) used to organise the northern events, but as I understand matters, isn't able to do this at the moment. So someone needs to step up to the plate to take this on.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Also keep in mind that the RISC OS SouthWest Show 2019 is on Saturday 16th February, 2019. Link to their site.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I have no current preference at the moment. But thinking about last winter, for the southern folk, January is often considered to be the most likely month when snow may fall, and the coldest hardest frosts may occur. And unlike further upcountry, just a few flakes of snow can bring all the transport systems in the south to a complete halt.

Just something else to think about...

Mark
sydney

Post by sydney »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm
danielj wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:11 pm March/April is very close to Wakefield, but not sure what the consideration is around a northern event at the mo?
Simon (sydney) used to organise the northern events, but as I understand matters, isn't able to do this at the moment. So someone needs to step up to the plate to take this on.
Wakefield is the RiscOS show that we gatecrash every year and isn't organised by me but It's the one event I'll definitely be going to next year.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

sydney wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 pm
JudgeBeeb wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm
Wakefield is the RiscOS show that we gatecrash every year and isn't organised by me but It's the one event I'll definitely be going to next year.
Dont give away all your secrets.

I am available most days, Although as Mark says, last year I remember I was doing a couple of climbing courses in Wales Jan & Feb, and it snowed both times. And on the way home I had the car side ways at one point. Although we dont usually have snow two years in a row, or so the postman tells me.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Late January works for me but then I’m just around the corner. It hardly ever snows down south apart from, err, this year. #-o

In general I would try and keep away from school holidays if you can as folks often have other commitments or family holidays booked. (Spring half term in mid Feb and then Easter obviously.)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
tricky

Post by tricky »

sydney wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:36 pm ...
Wakefield is the RiscOS show that we gatecrash every year ...
Well one of them ;), some of us also gatecrash the London one comming up next month.

Any weekend around then should be OK for me, as the misses enjoyed the last one :shock:
Ironically though, a weekend one either end of a school holiday works even better (apart from the awful traffic) as I can drop our daughter with my parents :)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

When it comes time to do a booking thread, can I suggest you do something to help people who are not on the forum 24/7? For example, pre-announce a booking window at least a day ahead; maybe open only half the places in the first booking window and then have another; maybe reserve some places for people who haven't been to an ABUG ever, or for a year. And so on...
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

BigEd wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 pm When it comes time to do a booking thread, can I suggest you do something to help people who are not on the forum 24/7? For example, pre-announce a booking window at least a day ahead; maybe open only half the places in the first booking window and then have another; maybe reserve some places for people who haven't been to an ABUG ever, or for a year. And so on...
A good idea generally (and I can understand the frustration with Leicester effectively being filled within minutes), but not really needed for this venue. Last time we somewhat struggled to fill the venue.
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

January is good with me.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I see title has changed :) Yup Jan 18-20 would suit me!
flibble

Post by flibble »

I've pencilled the date in my diary :)
markdryan

Post by markdryan »

These dates are good for me as well. Incidentally, I'll be flying into LHR from Schipol and will be pre-booking a taxi to take me to and from the venue. Anyone else from the Netherlands interested in coming would then have transport to and from the venue, providing they book the same flights as me.
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) DATE CONFIRMED

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The general position seems to be that there are problems with March and April (and part of February). The only objection to January seems to be that I might snow. But we have done ABUGs in January before.

I appreciate that there is a desire for there to be another ABUG North. However, at present, no one has stepped up to the plate to organise a northern meet and no venues have been identified.

So I have booked The Ely Hotel (https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/our-lo ... blackwater) for 18 to 20 January 2019. Put the date in your diaries. The official booking thread will open after the Leicester meet is over.
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Just a heads up that the official booking thread for this event will open on Saturday 17 November 2018. :D

I know that there was some frustration with the way bookings were dealt with for the East Midlands event (for which I was partly responsible). Because of this, I will not accept any bookings made before the above date. I hope everyone is comfortable with this arrangement.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Good idea!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The Judge has ruled!

=D>

Mark
IanS

Post by IanS »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 pm Just a heads up that the official booking thread for this event will open on Saturday 17 November 2018. :D
What time on the 17th? :)
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

IanS wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:27 pm What time on the 17th? :)
Some time after I get out of bed!

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”