Beebug Pyramid Patience faulty

having trouble with an archived file? post in here!
Michael Brown

Beebug Pyramid Patience faulty

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi all,

Here's another game that does not work on a BBC B.
Its Pyramid Patience from Beebug in 1993.
It does work, however, in Master Mode.
I believe the VDUs in the first file may be to blame.

Can anyone please sort it out?

Part 2 should run at &E00 put doesn't work in BBC mode if downloaded to there!

Mick.
lurkio

Re: Beebug Pyramid Patience faulty

Post by lurkio »

The game doesn't work on a Model B even if you compress $.PYR with PRES ABE's Pack routine and download it to &E00.

I think the main prog needs more RAM than a Model B has available for BASIC programs. See line 120 of $.PYR, which switches to MODE 129.

:(
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

If you look at the magazine: http://8bs.com/othrdnld/beebug/scans/BeebUGv1207.zip

pp. 44

There seems to be a single type-in, but it says Subscribers to the magazine disc will find the program in two parts, Pyramid and Pyr to include on-screen instructions.

Doesn't mention being Master only. And page 2 specifically says they WILL work on any BBC micro with BASIC II unless stated otherwise.

But line 190 (p.45) is VDU 22,129 ... which is what you are talking about, Chet ... MODE 129 ... but that would still "fail gracefully" on a BBC B, wouldn't it? And be MODE ... 1?

Not saying it's not Master only, just not 100% clear that it is ... or isn't ... :?: :-k :?:
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

But having tried a few obvious things ... it's definitely memory-constrained on a BBC B!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

It'll run on a Model B at &A00 though! See attached prototype.

I used the compressed version of $.PYR. I also loaded the relevant char definitions at &900, and redirected the OS lookups for chars 128-159 and 224-255 to &900 by storing the integer value 9 in memory locations &36B and &36E respectively.

But the code for $.PYR still needs to be tweaked somehow because the number of each playing card (A,1,2,...,9,T, J,Q,K) is being printed with the wrong ASCII code for a Model B. Also, the white card backgrounds aren't being PLOTted properly, for some reason.
:?:

Return to “archive issues”