Sink the Bismarck/ Tanks

having trouble with an archived file? post in here!
D-Cure

Sink the Bismarck/ Tanks

Post by D-Cure »

Hi all,

I am trying to get Sink The Bismarck and Tanks (the 3-D stragegy game) working on BeebEm (v3.4). I'm dying to get these going, they were two of my fav games for a long time back in the 80s (along with Elite, Strkyers Run and Code Name Droid).

I have the following problems:

Sink The Bismarck- when I load the rom it asks me to enter a name for the new game, whenever I type a name in it just resets the field and I can go no further.

Tanks- I select the campaign and choose the tanks. A 'Please Wait' image comes up on the screen for a couple of seconds, then Beebem resets.

I tried to download new roms from another sources but when I unrar the files the result is a load of .inf files another things, no ssd files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

I think you mean "Bismarck" by BBCSoft. This has the type in name thing. Sink the Bismarck doesn't.

I think I fell for this one. All the problem is the game wants to save to disk but by default the disk is locked. If you want to save to the game disk select for the menus, File->Disk Options->Write Protect 0.

The program really should give you an error message rather than jsut reset the field.

You may want to create a new disk though for your save positions but that's up to you.

Same thing fixes tanks as well. Run the game and before you complete the selections just makes sure drive zero isn't protected. Again you may want to use a dedicated save position disk. BeebEm isn't resetting as such but the software when it can't save to disk resets the Beeb itself.
D-Cure

Post by D-Cure »

Sorvad, you're a legend. Both load now!

One last favour if possible, do you know where I could get the instructions for these games?

I've started tanks, but as soon as I press certain buttons e.g. H or Z the game ends.

Thanks again.
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Sorry don't know but somebody here might know where to get them or could scan them if they've got the game.
D-Cure

Post by D-Cure »

Hope so, thanks for the help.
At least I can look at the games .. sort of :lol:
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

I scanned the instruction booklets for both Sink the Bismarck and Tanks back in June, but have yet to add them to the acornpreservation site.

They currently total about 65Mb (600dpi PNG files) but I'll try and shrink them down a bit and get back to you ...
D-Cure

Post by D-Cure »

This forum is full of heros, thanks very much. Can't wait to play these again!!
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

OK, here's the instructions for Bismarck (7.2Mb zip):
[removed]

Tanks should follow in about 5 mins ...
Last edited by Arcadian on Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Cure

Post by D-Cure »

Thanks, this is it, I remember the booklet. Bonza!
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

OK, well here are the instructions for Tanks! (11.8Mb zip):
[removed]

The docs for BBC Soft's Bismarck are already on the acornpreservation site, here:
http://www.acornpreservation.org/archiv ... k/scan_doc

Please let me know when you've downloaded whatever you need, so I can delete the files from the .\temporary folder.
Last edited by Arcadian on Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Hey, you just completely changed your post, didn't ya? ;)

Going by what had been discussed, I thought it was the Design People version that you were after!
D-Cure

Post by D-Cure »

I like to keep people on their toes ;)

I've downloaded the booklets now, they're exactly what I needed.

Thanks so much for the super fast help! :D 8)
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Pleasure! :D
00heaven

Re: Sink the Bismarck/ Tanks

Post by 00heaven »

Appreciate that 11 years have passed since the last post(!) but I was wondering if anybody could upload/reupload the manuals mentioned in this thread. I vaguely remembered playing Tanks! (The Design People) from my childhood. I was thrilled to get it up and running again on BeebEm, but now can't work out how to actually play the thing. If the original scans aren't available, any help/suggestions of where else to look would be great. Thanks in advance...

Return to “archive issues”