May 12th-14th 2017 Cambridge ABUG (FULL) & Acorn World event at CCfCH

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
BigEd

Re: May 12th-14th 2017 Cambridge ABUG (FULL) & Acorn World event at CCfCH

Post by BigEd »

Just a bit of fun, I would think. A reaction perhaps to management wanting more orthodoxy in a growing company?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

BigEd wrote:A reaction perhaps to management wanting more orthodoxy in a growing company?
I can understand that one . . . I remember one period when management wanted a more detailed report, every day :shock: So I sent the same 22 page document in for six months before they realised I'd only been filling in the first page - They must have realised the stupidity of the exercise, as the requirement was dropped within a few days :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

daveejhitchins wrote:So I sent the same 22 page document in for six months before they realised I'd only been filling in the first page - They must have realised the stupidity of the exercise, as the requirement was dropped within a few days :lol:
Perhaps you should get someone else to write the docs for your hardware :evil:
Zarchos

Post by Zarchos »

daveejhitchins wrote:I wonder if his title reflects his state of mind, at the time, or is he just as good as myself at spelling??

Isn't it just a play-on-words ?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Elminster wrote:Perhaps you should get someone else to write the docs for your hardware :evil:
Ah! Those are a labour of love :D

Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi there,
this is a very late thankyou note for the ABUG/Acorn World Cambridge weekend in May. Apologies for it's lateness. After the event it was full tilt back in RL (real life) and I needed a bit of a break. Just had a week's holiday and feeling refreshed and thought it high time I write this.

Thanks for all the kind words posted in the thread since the event took place.

The exhibition was a big thing to organise. I seem to remember Jason F's advice being "it can be as big as you want it to be". So I wrote up a plan for all the content at the end of Jan. I then reviewed it with the museum and they pretty much gave it the nod and let me run with it. I then foolishly tried to write up all the content myself! Fortunately some 6-8 weeks before the weekend, I came to my senses and realised that with the spare time I had left I simply wasn't going to get it all done. Here are the people that made Acorn World the comprehensive and fun exhibition that it was!

A big thankyou to...

- flibble (Peter) for allowing himself to be volunteered by me to do the info sheets for the 32bit era of Acorn - and he and his brother Matthew for proofreading all content..and being on hand on Friday to help set up the exhibition

- helpful (Bryan) for contacting/cajoling people to bring along kit for the event, editing info sheets, posters, promotional blurb as well as being on hand Friday to set up and manning the exhibition througout the weekend

- samwise (Peter) for writing the info sheets for the Education and current project themed sections of the exhibition and supplying a Bitstik and massive poster for Elite

- Arcadian (Dave) for planning the content of the Education and project themes and ABUG room layout and very kindly supplying his (previously!) unboxed Valiant Turtle.

- Prime (Phill) for creating cables and pulling all the necessary kit together to ensure the Valiant Turtle was in working order for the weekend, as well as supplying his BeebOPL for display.

-Paul Emerton[ for bringing and painstakingly setting up his amazing BBC TV programme graphics display (RISC PCs with custom graphics hardware for use in BBC TV shows)

- Sprow (Robert) for bringing and setting up his Master with ARM7 and Ethernet interface and Titanium ARM computer

- zombiedog (Steve) for bringing his pristine Acorn Communicator for display

- Amcog (Tony) for bringing and setting up games displays for running on RISC OS/Raspberry Pi

- Tricky (Richard) for setting up and demo-ing his games in the exhibition and the ABUG room

- sydney (Simon) for setting up the ABUG room and selflessly dropping what he was doing to respond to my multiple random demands whilst setting up the exhibition on Friday!

..and of course the museum peeps

- Jason F (curator) for advising and encouraging throughout..and for being so flexible. Many "permanent" exhibits were removed to make room and he didn't mind in the slightest :) He was onhand all weekend, late in to the night and helped set up and tear down the exhibition.

- Adrian set up most of the exhibition kit on the Friday - and pretty much "did my bidding" to ensure everything was in the right place (I'm sure he bore the brunt of much of my fretting!)

- Jeremy (assistant curator) for reviewing and advising on exhibition set up and providing "summary" cards which presented key points in Acorn history.

I've not said much about ABUG meet up - I did get to meet and chat with a few of you. It was great to see a fully populated and active room with an impressive array of projects which always blow me away! It'll be business as usual for me at the next ABUG - which usually involves me failing to write any new code for my not-finished game and having a good chinwag with everyone :)

Cheers all, and see you at the next ABUG :)

jbnbeeb
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

https://youtu.be/ilLilZsQ5ow

^^ Sydney at the Cambridge ABUG demonstrating his amazingly clever program to load cassette tapes onto a floppy and by the way his amazing breakout clone as well =D>
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

https://youtu.be/Iow3V3ZTJBM

^^ notes captured on my livescribe of Sydney's amazing XFERTAPEDISC demonstration 8)

[EDIT] there's stuff me rambling on a bit about the BBC Master :oops: Sorry I found it quite fascinating
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Here are some photos I took of the Acorn World exhibit and general museum pics...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 6d046aa23d
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

sbadger wrote:Had a great time, thank you for all the hard work and organisation. (and kieran for being taxi)
It was a weekend with old friends (the acorn kit) and new....you lot! :wink:

I've had some fun with mountain panic (thanks again dave) but those penguins are tw*ts! :)
finally managed to finish MP....sheesh!, a tough game!, but thanks for the enjoyment!
mountain panic.jpg
So many projects, so little time...
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Arcadian wrote:there'll be an Electron Plus 3 running John Blythe's new text/graphic adventure - The Darkness of Raven Wood. :)
=D>

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”