Black Widow

a near-complete archive of posts from the old ezboard forums
AJW99

Black Widow

Post by AJW99 »

This is one of the many things I missed between 1994-5 and I can't wait to try it out.<br>
That's heartbreaking news from Superior, I feel really sorry for Mr.Watson about that!<br>
Big shame they couldn't even release another compilation because there were lots of people who were coming out with great games at that time regardless of the market size that Superior mention.

<p></p><i></i>
Moist Mog

Post by Moist Mog »

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last new piece of BBC software was published in 1993 and I think the last PIAS was released that year as well so I guess you can understand where they're coming from.<br>
<br>
By 1994 even the Arc market was going rapidly downhill as well.

<p></p><i></i>
AJW99

x

Post by AJW99 »

The games market was I think yes, for the Arc.<br>
For the BBC, what I mean is that ideas for games were still coming forward as people began to get more competent at coding or came back to what they had started. There were several high profile unfinished projects for the Beeb for example.

<p></p><i></i>
Moist Mog

Post by Moist Mog »

It was pretty amazing how long the BBC lasted though. You could buy a machine in 1983 (I think that's when it came out) and run pretty much everything new that came out 10 years later.<br>
<br>
Some schools still use them as well...!

<p></p><i></i>
AJW99

x

Post by AJW99 »

I think uni's have used them as well at least until recently. Makes me shudder at how many have just been skipped!

<p></p><i></i>
dudleysoft

Re: Black Widow

Post by dudleysoft »

It was a shame about Superior, I'd actually sent it off to Superior months earlier, I'd given up hope of hearing from them and had already submitted it to Acorn Computing before I got the reply (I submitted it to Acorn Computing in June of 1994), I got the reply from Superior about 1 month before it came out on the Acorn Computing Disk, it was even more suprising to see it in the magazine, they had originally told me it wouldn't be for another couple of months, I almost had a heart attack opening Acorn Computing and seeing it there.<br>
<br>
The thing is if I hadn't got my Archimedes in 1989 and stopped writing for the BBC Micro I might have finished the game before then and it might actually have been published, infact I wrote and had an Archimedes games published in Archimedes World (Castle Blackheart) before my BBC Micro game came out.<br>
<br>
I dont feel too bad about it, I wasn't really expecting Superior to be publishing any more BBC games, I sent it on the off-chance that they were still concidering submissions. I think at the time they'd just recently released the last PIAS collection, although I knew the chance of another was fairly slim even then. I wish I still had the original letter I sent to Superior so I could check the date. I remember they were still advertising the new PIAS release at the time so I thought I'd give it a shot.<br>
<br>
Anyway I hope you like the game, I did find a bug that I really wish I could sort out now, if you try to pass an enemy soldier on a single wide platform you get stuck in the roof and cannot move and have to abort the game, it's a small bug, but I fell foul of it several times while making the map and it's annoying to have to restart the game.<br>
<br>
James Watson

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “ezboard”