Post your Feedback about this section here

This is where we keep track of who is scanning what, so we can avoid duplicating work and also define conventions/standards etc
Moderators: DaveH, andrew_rowland, Dave_E, bfoley, sabre150, Moderators
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post your Feedback about this section here

Post by Arcadian »

Please use this thread for any feedback/discussion (as for the time being at least, the individual threads for each magazine have been locked).
garfield

Post by garfield »

Obviously the best scans are going to be flat ones at very high resolution, which means the destruction of at least one issue per magazine, in order to avoid the horrid warping that occurs when a 'non sacrificial' magazine's spine gets in the way down the middle.

Coordinating would help ensure that no more than one issue per magazine has to meet its maker. Just an idea.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I tried getting a professional scanning machine to scan an issue of MU with the spine sliced off with a guillotine (ouch) and it eat quite a few of the pages, just as the guy prophesied.

Jokingly, the guy said "That magazine looks like it was printed on toilet paper" yeah, I know, like the stuff you used to get in motorway services until they noticed the toilets being bunged up with napkins...

I also noticed that some pages are printed beyond the gutter where the glue forms the spine. Therefore those pages cannot be fully scanned anyway.
The BBC Micro - possibly the best computer in the world.
Dreamland Fantasy

Post by Dreamland Fantasy »

Is anyone interested in the Disk User magazines? We don't seem to have a section for them.

I've already scanned in the first issue (June/July 1987), but I still need to clean up the pages.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Dreamland Fantasy Studios
http://www.dfstudios.co.uk
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Dreamland Fantasy

Post by Dreamland Fantasy »

Thanks Dave.

I didn't know that they had already been scanned, but I was scanning mine anyway so that I could print out some of the pictures.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Dreamland Fantasy Studios
http://www.dfstudios.co.uk
vztfzc

Re: Post your Feedback about this section here

Post by vztfzc »

Curious if there has been progress on the scanning projects?

Want to read Beebug again.

Paul
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Dave Edwards has scanned in quite a few Acorn Users, but I won't get time to get them edited/online until after Byte Back.

As for Beebugs, I won't be scanning any of those because I believe Mark Usher has already scanned the lot (though they're still not online).
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

It might be a silly question (what with the heated other thread!) but are there plans to put Electron User online? ...or is the idea just to make sure everything is scanned whether its available online or not..?
joachim

Post by joachim »

retro_junkie wrote:It might be a silly question (what with the heated other thread!) but are there plans to put Electron User online? ...or is the idea just to make sure everything is scanned whether its available online or not..?
The entirety of Electron User *used* to be available at http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/ ... but it looks as if he's in the process of making some of his site paid-content, so I don't know what's going on there.

Return to “coordination of magazine scanning projects”