The Savestate thread!

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

CMcDougall

Re: The Savestate thread!

Post by CMcDougall »

Ghouls, thank's to Dave Hoskins for a great game BITD! =D> (Welcome by the way!)

here's levels 1-4, in different stages, and the ending on level4 8)

then it repeats, but with two ghosts (oops Kenton B. Price [-X lol) and spiders+

:wink:
Attachments
ghouls6.zip
level6 only,for the die hard!
(61.8 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Ghouls-SAVEstates1-5.zip
Ghouls-SAVEstates1-5
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
ImageImageImage
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

after LeeD/MickB finding that 'Bugeyes' and 'Zelda meets the Bugeyes' has a different character on each to control i thought i would complete Zelda meets the Bugeyes!

not much of an ending, but just walk to right, then do all 10 levels again! :o
Attachments
bugeyesz10 end.zip
Zelda Bugeyes lev1-10 & 10end
(476.74 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
ImageImageImage
streaks

Post by streaks »

I have savestates of castle quest with all items at the starting area...

I play around with the memory once in a while. It's weird cos you can have the spiders in your inventory and drop them. They kill you where you drop them and stay there thereafter but invisible. You can carry other none-items that look like weird messed up memory chunks like bits of the troll.

I suppose I could create BeebEm savestates for games with lives/money/whatever and set it to like 255 or something if there's no existing "zapped" version of the game doing the rounds, if anyone's desperate.

"Do you want a zapped game?" Those were the days.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Hell Driver by Program/Micro Power 1983

levels 1 to 7, then the ambulance just wants to crash into you!

keys: Z X K M Space
Attachments
HellDriver1to7.zip
Hell Driver Levels 1to7
(301.65 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
ImageImageImage
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

been playing Strykers Run, as was trying to get it running on my mCompact in enhanced mode, but no joy so far. Must be a mCompact version about somewhere :?

anyways, tried without the cheats, and only got about 1/4 through it :cry:
so here's the Master version on cheat with always 9 lives.
Ending is soooo boring, just says "MISSION COMPLETE, CODE VICTORY" :-s
Attachments
StrykersRunEnhancedC.zip
3 parts and end -cheated
(542.37 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
ImageImageImage
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Starship Command

keys: Z X M , Nfire F/G release pod left/right

levels 1 to 7 8)
Attachments
StarshipCommandL1to7.zip
(335.4 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
ImageImageImage
c64endings.co.uk

Post by c64endings.co.uk »

This topic is right up my street. Has anyone here ever thought about building a BBC Game Ending website? It would be great to catalogue the endings of these fine games. I did the same for the Commodore 64 (www.c64endings.co.uk) :-)
Check out some Commodore 64 game endings: www.c64endings.co.uk
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Thought would give Mr. Mephisto -EuroByte 1984 a go (never had/ played BITD), after watching the C64 completed version on YouTube for hints /tips, I got to the end... eventually, but not the same as C64 in most parts, as Level2 can't get the Key on left, as devils keepers always come from the left, they should come from the right as well, so no way to get key :?
Level2:
l2
l2
Level3:
l3
l3
Level4, the very Devil himself :shock: off to heaven we go... :-k LOL
l4
l4
No nice angels flying about at the end like C64 version, just throws you back to Level1 :|
Attachments
MrMephisto01to05.zip
beebEm414 savestate /uef
(306.41 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
ImageImageImage
BeebInC

Post by BeebInC »

Many years ago I manage to reach about Level 255 on Chuckie Egg on my Electron, I just played it one Sunday and kept going and going, and coming back to it and got to Level 255 then it crashed on me, but I don't recall 2 ducks flying about.
I converted chuckie egg years ago, and then experimented adding 2 big ducks. Sooner or later they will just synchronise and act like one. You would have to give them different max speeds/accelerations to attempt to fix that..
John_Acorn

Post by John_Acorn »

How to run the UEF In BeebEm on the mac?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

John_Acorn wrote:How to run the UEF In BeebEm on the mac?
Use the "Load State" menu command.

:idea:
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Interesting thread.

I do recall once finishing Imogen. That had quite the ending. Very cinematic from what I remember.

Haven't played it for some time so it would be worth taking it on again.

Saved states a must I would have thought.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
John_Acorn

Post by John_Acorn »

c64endings.co.uk wrote:This topic is right up my street. Has anyone here ever thought about building a BBC Game Ending website? It would be great to catalogue the endings of these fine games. I did the same for the Commodore 64 (http://www.c64endings.co.uk) :-)
I thought there was a thread here once.
barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 »

John_Acorn wrote:
c64endings.co.uk wrote:This topic is right up my street. Has anyone here ever thought about building a BBC Game Ending website? It would be great to catalogue the endings of these fine games. I did the same for the Commodore 64 (http://www.c64endings.co.uk) :-)
I thought there was a thread here once.
This one?

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=1&t=2284
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Resurrecting an old (if pinned) thread - an Inertia save state for the very end of the game, no lives lost (no cheats, but liberal use of save state). Note that controls are reversed at this point, so you need to press Z to collect the final tile.

However... there's some odd behaviour which I'm hesitating to call a bug due to the fact that I saved state an obscene number of times to get to this point and could have messed something up. Score in the save state is 515, with 5 points per tile, so this should result in the maximum possible score of 520. Collecting the last tile doesn't result in the score increasing though, so you end with 515 and get a "Not bad, do better next time" message. Also, going the wrong way and falling off the world also gives the same message rather than taking you back to the last collected tile. The other possibility is that this is an issue with the disc image I'm using - there's a bit of visual corruption on one of the screens so I'm not ruling it out.

EDIT: Additional posts with updated states below.
Attachments
InertiaComplete.zip
(39.06 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by arakeen on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

arakeen wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:59 pm The other possibility is that this is an issue with the disc image I'm using - there's a bit of visual corruption on one of the screens so I'm not ruling it out.
If you'd care to give this disc image a spin, it's the untouched original 40 track SSD :)

Brief check with a hex editor shows that there are some differences in the data when the program is in the same (resting) position...
Attachments
INERTIA.zip
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Thanks - still has the same little graphical corruption, so probably not that. However, I caught the score double-counting on some tiles (so 10 points rather than 5), and it turns out there's two tiles I was missing on my original run - the double-counting made me think I had found them all. I've attached a whole load of save states at various checkpoints (names might be slightly meaningful if you use the map), but there is a tile and probably a screen somewhere that I'm missing. I'm assuming the last tile isn't hidden below a bridge but is off an edge somewhere that I haven't noticed - I'll keep looking and will post updated files if/when I work it out.

EDIT: Additional posts with updated states below.
Attachments
InertiaSavestates.zip
(506.22 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Last edited by arakeen on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

I've attached a zipfile containing my last Acornsoft Maze session. I managed to reach 8 robots, but I didn't get very far at that point. It's definitely very hard to play with 8!

Edit - I've finally attached it now - hope you enjoy it!
Attachments
AcornsoftMaze.zip
(417.32 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Thanks to billcarr2005 I've been able to add the last tile to my run and have an updated set of save states. Still getting the same issue at the end where the score doesn't increment with the final tile so I can't get above 515. I'll have to try yet again to see if I can repeat the double counting bug, hopefully with a complete set of tiles plus the extra from a double count I can get a 520 score...
Attachments
InertiaSavestates.zip
(509.08 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
arakeen

Post by arakeen »

Apparently not... I ended up with two double-counted tiles, so had 515 points with three tiles to collect. I picked up a tile, and the game immediately went to a completed state but still without incrementing the score, leaving me with the "Not bad 515 points" message again.

I've attached two states immediately after the double counting took place - these show that the collected tiles have been duplicated on-screen in addition to the higher than expected scores. I've also attached a state immediately before what is usually the final tile to demonstrate that the game still ends - as before, press Z to collect this tile. There are two other tiles not collected, I see the same behaviour with all three.
Attachments
InertiaDoubleCounting.zip
(116.42 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
dan_daran

Post by dan_daran »

hi anyone managed to get the exile cheat to alter the water level to work to remove all the water? couldnt get it to work maybe because it triggers the maggot machine explosion?
JC229

Post by JC229 »

Not massively interesting, but if you keep playing Gorf the mothership on the end level gradually starts lower and lower. At some point it starts so low that you can't shoot it (and it just crashes into you) but once passed you it then crashes into the ground and you complete the level. For a few rounds it then starts lower than you and instantly crashes into the ground, completing the level. Then on level 152 (I think) I assume its start position means it writes over stuff it shouldn't, and the game hangs. (I have earlier save states too if you want to play through the low stages of ship yourself!)
Attachments
gorf_killscreen.uef
(129.2 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
caspian

Post by caspian »

Here are savestates of me playing Repton 2 (BBC version, I used multiple savestates but no other cheats) and luring a monster up into space.
One just before cracking the egg, the other after luring the monster back down near the surface after it went up into space.

I described the trick when I first managed it after exploring cheats for the electron version:
caspian wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 am I managed to get the monster to follow me through separate entrances on the BBC version, Screen C (with some saves and slowing down the speed)

First pushing a rock in so the monster doesn't go the wrong way. Then hatching the monster, leaving to the left, and going into another entrance (or dying), and waiting briefly (not too long, or the monster seems to disappear [update - it just seems to take a long time to come back down]). Then going back to the surface to attract the monster.
Attachments
repton-2-space-monster.zip
(82.74 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Eleccy

Post by Eleccy »

MatthewThompson wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:00 pm Many years ago I manage to reach about Level 255 on Chuckie Egg on my Electron, I just played it one Sunday and kept going and going, and coming back to it and got to Level 255 then it crashed on me, but I don't recall 2 ducks flying about.
Hello saved staters.

Going back to chuckie egg discussion, i looped it right round in the days of my mis-spent childhood.I had the electron powered up for a few days using pause when i wasnt playing. My lives were up past the display limit but i must have been gaining lives quicker than losing them. The score went back to zero a few times during that. . After level 256 it went back to level one with duck back in its cage. (Definitely never saw 2 ducks). It seemed to plateau after a while not noticeably getting harder. I think i stopped after that, felt i'd 'completed' it. Great game. Still fun to play on occasion

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”