Exile Question

the place for discussing bbc micro & electron software, emulators, hardware and other issues
Lance MDR Rocket

Exile Question

Post by Lance MDR Rocket »

Hey, I'm new, and have a question relating to Exile.<br>
<br>
I'm having problems accessing the disc menu screen - I understand that the correct command is shift F9, but when I do that all I get is some pink static that won't go away.<br>
<br>
The emulator I use is Model B, which is the only one I've found that runs at a decent speed on my miserable Windows 2000 PII-300, but it doesn't support save states (BeebEm is way, way, WAY too slow and B Em has some terrible sound issues). Is there a particular ROM setup I should be using? I use the default OS with a Watford disc driver.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

<p></p><i></i>
melchett

Exile Save

Post by melchett »

According to the Exile game manual, the behaviour you are seeing is as designed and you need to reboot the Beeb to continue playing:<br>
<br>
<quote><br>
<br>
When you wish to exit the game in preparation for running the Supervisor (for example to save your current position) you should:<br>
<br>
a) Press SHIFT+F9 and wait for a second<br>
This puts data in a safe place (and fills the screen with rubbish)<br>
b) Press CTRL+BREAK (to recover control of the machine)<br>
c) Re-run the game (SHIFT+BREAK on disc, rewind and type CHAIN "" on tape).<br>
<br>
You'll soon get the hang of this odd process (which is necessary because EXILE uses every last byte of memory there is in your micro, so the game position saving routines and score calculations had to be put in a separate program).<br>
<br>
</quote><br>
<br>
So it looks as if Model B is correctly emulating the game's behaviour (I was impressed to hear the speech work!).<br>
<br>
Glad I never had to play the tape version all those years ago...<br>
<br>
Oh, and if you're interested, you can download the full Exile Manual from here:<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://bbc.nvg.org/dir.php3?dir=sw/Supe ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>

<p></p><i></i>
Lance MDR Rocket

Post by Lance MDR Rocket »

Thanks for your help! (That is odd).<br>
<br>
Oh, and sorry for putting this in the wrong forum by the way.

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “general”