Castle Raider now available

daveejhitchins

Re: Castle Raider now available

Post by daveejhitchins »

David, is Castle Raider a candidate for the MGC?

It would need to fit-in-to 16K or 32K. Preferably 16K, then it can be run from the ROM FS. If it needs 32K then there is a mechanism for the ROM FS, however, the ABR Utility doesn't support it. Although there are cartridge games that do so many we find out how to do it from them. A custom loader is also an option!

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
davidb

Post by davidb »

It could probably be made to fit into 16K, though I'd really like to tweak it a bit to perhaps include the character selection screen, in which case it might have to be 32K.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

davidb wrote:It could probably be made to fit into 16K, though I'd really like to tweak it a bit to perhaps include the character selection screen, in which case it might have to be 32K.
:D [-o< =D> :D <- That's a BIG PLEASE in any language . . .

Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
davidb

Post by davidb »

Well, in the worst case scenario, a snapshot of the current game could be taken and put in a ROM because the code and data are, I think, a good few K less than 12K - the screen memory used is 20K. So, we'll see what can be done. I'll have to get back "into the zone" before I can do anything. :)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Could a 'simple' compression scheme work for the screen memory? Maybe this would be the answer for other games too!

davidb

Post by davidb »

I meant that, since the game needs to use 20K of memory at run-time for the two screen banks, the code, data and sprites should all fit into 12K, so I won't need more than a 16K ROM. It all runs in MODE 5, if that makes a difference.

As for compressing other games into 16K ROMs, it may work for some games if they're not too much more than 16K to start with. I'm not too familiar with the decompression routines available for the 6502.
tricky

Post by tricky »

RichTw describes the one he used for tape loading which seems small, fast and efficient.
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

^if you mean this:
http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/vi ... ding#p4693
then I can't get it to load on a real beeb, only see's 2nd block, then nothing :(

nice game though DavidB =D> =D> =D>
ImageImageImage
Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins »

Yeah I screwed up somewhere when generating that UEF. I think it works OK if you "Rewind Tape" in the emulator before running it.
davidb

Post by davidb »

Thanks, Colin! :D

I've done a little experiment and transplanted my videos to their own page on the Internet Archive. I may well do the same for the Jungle Journey playthrough and subsequent videos.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Great video, but didn't you miss the crown :lol:
davidb

Post by davidb »

Yes. :lol: I was in a hurry to finish filming. Someone else can film a version in which they collect both the treasures. :D
davidb

Post by davidb »

Just re-reading this thread, I should point out that the missing monster glitch can also strike when you're traversing the wasteland level from right to left. I thought I'd mention it before someone else does. ;)
davidb

Post by davidb »

I've made a "permanent" version of the Castle Raider site so that people can download the various versions of the game if they want.

Have fun! :D

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”