I need some advice

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Bacon Clockwork

I need some advice

Post by Bacon Clockwork »

My Dad used to play Repton 2 on the old BBC he brought home all the time when I was younger. I remember him leaving it on overnight with a note not to touch it.

Later on we got Repton 3, etc. and he wasn't so interested in them, it was mainly me playing around with them.

Recently I downloaded Repton 2 for him so he could play it on his PC(I doubt the old BBC works anymore, and I thought the savestates would help him).

He got interested in Repton 3 then so I downloaded 3, it's sequels and Infinity as he never much got into them before.

He really enjoyed working through them(though he disliked the time limits). But now he's on the last few levels of everything I got for him and I'm wondering what to do, to keep him occupied. He's going to retire soon. I'm getting him a guitar but I don't think he'll get that into it and I need something for him to do until then.

What would you suggest? He wouldn't really have enough expertise to download and load in custom levels, etc.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Ravenskull, Pipeline, Man-at-Arms?
jon28

Post by jon28 »

Well if its games you're after the most obvious choice would be to get him a Nintendo DS - there are plenty of puzzle games for it and other challenging games designed for adults. Of course the games are expensive, but there are ways round that!!!!

If you want to stick with Repton, you could download a BBC emulator and the Repton games (all available for download on this site) and he could have a go at the originals.

Boulder Dash is very similar to Repton, whilst it wasn't released for the BBC or PC (that I'm aware) there were a number of versions and lots of levels for the C64. You'll find a C64 emulator and the games through a search on Google.

If emulation is new to you and you need some help getting everything you need or getting it working, just post here and we'll be able to help you.
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

XOR is quit a nice puzzle game (in a repton kinda style), not often mentioned. Well I liked it anyway :)
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Boulder Dash was converted to the BBC and Electron by Tynesoft.
Bacon Clockwork

He likes puzzle games and boulder dash is more arcade action.

I was hoping more in the lines of Repton fan games and tributes. He finds the DS's screen too small for him too he doesn't like handhelds.
Last edited by Bacon Clockwork on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon Clockwork

sorvad wrote:XOR is quit a nice puzzle game (in a repton kinda style), not often mentioned. Well I liked it anyway :)
Where do I get it? XOR will be a hard term to google.
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Go to the main page of this site,

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/index2.html

On the right you'll see a archive search box. just enter XOR and you'll have some versions to choose from. Guess go for the retail version.

He is using a BBC emulator on the PC to play these isn't he ? I got that impression from your post.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Clogger by Gordon J.Key was a puzzle game in the style of Repton

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... logger.zip

Also Bonecruncher is a good looking game too.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

He should love Clogger if he enjoyed Repton. Although that game similarly has a timelimit. I do remember reading of a way to reset the clock on it once though...

There was also a budget game in a similar vein called 'Survivors'. Don't remember much about it though.

But XOR is ideal as it has no timelimit :)

On a alightly more arcadey note then perhaps Imogen? I suggest it as the emphasis is more on the puzzle element what with the player being unable to die.
ivor_the_injun

Post by ivor_the_injun »

What about Repton author Tim Tyler's Rockz...

It's java-based, and playable online. Didn't really give it time myself, but it's well worth a look...

http://rockz.co.uk/preview/index.html
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

Cybershark wrote:There was also a budget game in a similar vein called 'Survivors'. Don't remember much about it though.
Survivors (Atlantis) is pretty good... you have 3 characters who each have a function - one digs, one pushes boulders, one 'teleports survivors' (like collecting diamonds in Repton) and you switch between the 3 characters so you have to make sure none of them get trapped... it's quite tricky.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”