Acorn & BBC User Group (ABug) NORTH 31 Jan HALIFAX

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
richardtoohey

Re: Acorn & BBC User Group (ABug) NORTH 31 Jan HALIFAX

Post by richardtoohey »

Thanks for the photos & write-ups. =D>

Simon's hardware experiences sound exactly like mine - things seem to fall apart and not go where they are supposed to! :x ](*,)

But sounds like everything got fixed, with patience & helpful people around. =D>
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,

Just echoing others posting here - was great to see everyone and get to see what projects people were working on.. and to wax lyrically about mine (hope I didn't go on too much - it was really good to go through my efforts with fellow Beeb enthusiasts :) )

Thanks to Jason F for updating my matchbox co pro and adding the capacitor. Also thanks to Daniel for putting the extension cable together for the co pro. As others have noted..some Beeb Bs didn't take kindly to having the copro on the end of a cable, though Masters were fine. For some reason my Beeb B was happy with the co pro on the cable.

Thanks to Dave H for lending me his laptop so I could attempt some debugging of my game. I'd forgotten to bring the power supply for mine :roll:

As the projects have been well covered up thread, a little write up on non techie side of things...
As some people didn't have fond memories of Ziggy's on the previous occasion, Simon took a quick straw poll from some locals as to what the best Indian restaurant was. Simon and DaveH ably transported us to the recommended restaurant, which did indeed serve excellent curry. Thanks to Jason F here for getting the booze in from the local offy as the restaurant didn't serve alcohol ;)

The following day, Dave H once more brought along his wife's amazing chocolate cake, and Beebmaster brought along his (pre sliced!) fruit cake. The cakes were delicious and there was none left by mid afternoon.

Beebmaster had also taken along his own supply of quality tea and china cup and saucer to drink it from. I was keen to try his tea as I've always admired Ian's diligence and insistence on only having the best. Ian obliged and gave me a cup full which was very nice indeed - thanks Beebmaster :)

And yes, as LeeNew says, the chips that Beebmaster , myself and JGH fetched from the nearest chippy we could find were indeed terrible. Further, can you believe that it was just shutting up shop at 6.30pm on a Saturday night?? That said, the chips couldn't spoil what had been a great day at Halifax. Looking forward to the next meet up. I should be along for Wakefield in April, and Blackpool Replay the week after.

Thanks to Simon for organising this meet up. Good fun was had by all and I look forward to doing it again :)

Cheers all,
jbnbeeb
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I had a great time, it was good to meet up again with quite a few familiar faces.

The Midwich Winnie seemed to go down well, although that was probably more due to it sounding like a Lancaster Bomber taking off than anything else!

Special thanks to Ian S for lifts to and fro', and repairing Station 114's keyboard which had had the BeebMaster treatment in the past!

And to Daniel for the RISC-PC Econet Module Podule - I will at least try it in the RISC PC, haven't decided whether it will stay there long-term.

We improved on Ziggy's with Syhiba this time, so here's hoping that next time we can improve on the chippy!

The only disappointment was the snow level in Halifax - hardly any evidence of snow at all! I was expecting better of W Yorks!!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

roland wrote:Must have been quite warm there when I look at the summer clothes ....
I was near Newcastle this morning scraping ice off my car, and there was a chap in tracksuit shorts strolling past. ;)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Thanks to everyone who made the event happen.
Thanks to everyone for tips and advice.
Thanks to Dave and Daniel for the lift from/to the station.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

oss003 wrote:Thanks for the write-up guys. Sounds like it was a good productive weekend. Discussing problems/projects with a few people is working great and is very inspiring. Keep up the good work with your projects .....

Greetings
Kees
^^^ what Kees said :wink:

Mark
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

My equipment has just been re-installed in my man cave after the Halifax weekend. Unfortunately the event took its toll on my hardware! :(
  • + First my B+ went on the blink even though it worked flawlessly at the meet.
    + Then one of my 3.5" FDDs packed up and had to be replaced. Since the old one was switched to be drive 0 and the new one defaulted to drive 1, I had to swap wires 10 and 12 inside the case to make the replacement drive 0.
    + A fuse blew in one of my monitor plugs.
    + My Master refused to switch on in its original mains outlet but was OK in another!
But at least it is now all working. My man cave did not seem the same with my treasured machines missing. :?
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

That's really odd! Is it all normally switched on for as long?

Maybe this was the final bit of Sherston protection - if you break it, it breaks your machine!!
tricky

Post by tricky »

I was thinking condensation!
leenew

Post by leenew »

It's the rattling around in the back of the van that I worry about. Luckily all my stuff seems to have survived. :D
Lee.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I did my Feb and March updates in such quick succession (just a few hours between the two!!) that it might be easy to miss the Feb update with my Halifax pics:

http://www.beebmaster.co.uk/Shows/HalifaxJan2015.html

Here's to the next one!
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

A good record, thanks. A picture says a 100 words. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
sydney

Post by sydney »

Thanks Ian. I enjoyed looking at them and the photo's from November too. I really must get a decent camera.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I keep thinking I really must learn how to use my camera! These digital SLR are really tricky when you've been using point-and-shoot all you life!
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'm really going to have to sort my nails out if I'm ever going to make it as a hand model...

d.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, they're better than Gordon Brown's, and I didn't identify yours by name!

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”