Electron emulator

if a game from either archive (bbc or electron) isn't working properly, please document it here
B0lly

Acorn Electron emulator

Post by B0lly »

I assume we're talking about the ElectrEm v0.9b emulator here?<br>
<br>
A quick guess would be that the BASIC.ROM has not been placed in the correct slot. Without this, the emulator won't recognise any commands and so will give errors.<br>
The ROMS menu (get at emulator menus using F11) should have basic.rom included at the top and one of the slots should be dedicated to this ROM.<br>
Make sure in Explorer that basic.rom is included in the roms sub-folder (beneath where ElectrEm.exe resides).<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

<p></p><i></i>
bumblebee

Thanks for that...

Post by bumblebee »

I checked the roms and basic had a slot already.<br>
<br>
As for the other thing - "Make sure in Explorer that basic.rom is included in the roms sub-folder (beneath where ElectrEm.exe resides)." - I must be thick but I couldn't find where you meant!<br>
<br>
Meanwhile, I had a bit of a mess around and found that I can load games perfectly as long as I open them from their folder rather than from the file tab in the emulator.<br>
It's a bit weird - the games were unzipped etc. then I played them directly from the emulator, then next time I tried, every game went to the Acorn prompt >Language.<br>
The same games if double-clicked in their folder went direct to emulator and would load from the file tab.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I think I'm ok - I've obviously done something wrong but as long as I can get to play Repton 3 all evening I'm happy.<br>
<br>
Incidentally, if you're playing a game how do you get back to the emulator without quitting back to Windows?<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help.<br>

<p></p><i></i>
B0lly

BASIC ROMs

Post by B0lly »

To get back to the main screen, pressing F12 or 'CTRL+F12' will get you back to the Acorn Electron with nothing loaded state.<br>
<br>
If you want to get at the Emulator itself, then at any point pressing F11 will take you into the Emulator (even when items are loaded).<br>
<br>
Both keyboard instructions are for v0.9b, older versions of ElectrEm may have used different F keys (certainly v0.3 used F1 to get into the emulator as I recall),<br>
<br>
As far as the ROM file is concerned, if you search Explorer for ElectrEm.exe then there should be a sub folder called ROMs under this which should at least contain OS.rom and BASIC.rom. A direct download from the STH site of the ElectrEm emulator as a zip file should have everything in the right place once unzipped.<br>
<br>
Can't tell from your entry whether you just copied the items from your XP machine to the ME machine or whether you tried to download again. I know that ElectrEm works OK on ME as I used to have this operating system myself before I upgraded it to XP.<br>
<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
bumblebee

Thanks again

Post by bumblebee »

Found the exe file and the roms are both there so thats ok.<br>
<br>
I did copy the emulator and some of the games over from XP to ME and have since downloaded more games on ME.<br>
<br>
To be honest I think I'm happy loading the games from their folder, it's just a bit weird.<br>
<br>
Now I know to use F11 its easy to go from one game to another.<br>
<br>
Thanks for all your help.

<p></p><i></i>
bumblebee

Electron emulator

Post by bumblebee »

Downloaded the emulator using Windows XP and it works and all ok.<br>
<br>
Tried it with Windows ME and emulator works ok but some of the games don't load - it goes to a Acorn prompt that says >Language<br>
<br>
If I type anything in it doesn't recognise it.<br>
<br>
Can anyone help?

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “problems”